Composting

Kirkbride Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I have been doing my research on composting leaves and using them for flower beds in the spring. I was trying to figure out how to make a potential profit off of this by selling by the bag, scoop, or if anyone has had luck with this?

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
Way tooo much trouble for what is worth. We probably got at least 10 large companies that does it in this area. If you look at their operations and then ask how could I ever compete with them.

It takes a lot of time to break down a large pile. I had about a 80 yard pile I was experimenting with but the county health department nixed my experiment. If you have enough land that you can hide you pile from view it's fun to experiment. It interesting how the microbial activity heats up the pile to as much as 180 F.

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
It is is real fun to watch them catch themselves on fire and all the FD can do is let them burn. A nursery near my house decomposes all of their stuff, and that happened one evening. It was still burning at 8 the next morning. The FD was there just keeping an eye on it. Apparently it was a good news story bc three of the local news crews were there.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
I have been doing my research on composting leaves and using them for flower beds in the spring. I was trying to figure out how to make a potential profit off of this by selling by the bag, scoop, or if anyone has had luck with this?
You aren't going to get compost out of leave's by themselve's. You need an equal (or more) amount of organic material.

It is is real fun to watch them catch themselves on fire and all the FD can do is let them burn. A nursery near my house decomposes all of their stuff, and that happened one evening. It was still burning at 8 the next morning. The FD was there just keeping an eye on it. Apparently it was a good news story bc three of the local news crews were there.
It's important to keep your piles moist so there are no potential fire issues. Here a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdeZFoxAUuUto to a huge compost fire we had 75 miles south of where I live. I think it took several months to get the fire out and it polluted the ground water with all the runoff.

Ticolawnllc

LawnSite Senior Member
be care-full. Not only do they smell but bacteria can become a problem. If your looking to handle a lot of compost get trained.

I always wanted to compost my grass clippings which would be a 3-4 bushels a week. That's as far as I would take it.

turning the compost correctly is the trick. Making sure your temp is right.
I hear two parts dry (leaves)and one part wet(grass clippings).

OP
K

Kirkbride Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Thanks for all the responses! I just was experimenting to see if it was even worth my time and it sounds more like a pain in the rear than anything. Maybe I will just do it for my own personal use than trying to take it to the commercial level.