1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Compression on gx160 honda engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stallone, Oct 9, 2006.

1. stallone

stallone LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I am a new member on your forum and appreciate all the help your site can give to me.

I have just buy an honda snowthrower hs624 with gx160 6hp engine on it. I have check the compression of my engine at hot and it give 118 psi to me.

1) Is it good?

2) My snowthrower is about 8 years old, is it necessary to do and valve clearance if i doubt that doesnt be done? If yes, can you give to me the procedure and number of the clearance please!!

Thanks a lot,

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First off [​IMG] to LawnSite.

118 lbs compression is more than adequate to run this engine with no problems.
    Unless they are a little noisy I wouldn't bother, But if they are adjust them with the engine cold.

.004" intake and .006" exhaust at top dead center compression stroke.

3. stallone

stallone LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply!!

And what is the normal range of compression (upper and lower limits).

Bye:waving:

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

120 lbs maybe a little higher on this high side. When it gets down to 60-65 it's harder to start and 50 or below is no start.

5. stallone

stallone LawnSite Member

I dont know what you mean about "120 lbs maybe a little higher on the high side"? Is it normal 118 psi at hot?

thnaks

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I read restrorobs post to mean that 118 out of 120 is about as good as you can get - and it is.