1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

compression test on Kawasaki 17 hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by janvan.1, Sep 14, 2004.

1. janvan.1

janvan.1 LawnSite Member

I have a 17 hp Kawasaki liquid cool in a John Deere LX188 the engine is a FD 501 V approx 10 years old. I would like to do a compression check since it smokes a little and does not seem to have the power it use to. Does anyone know what the compression should be on a Kawasaki FD 501 V 17 hp lq. I would also like to purchase a good engine manual for this engine does anyone know a good source. John Deere want $143.00 for manual seems kinda high to me.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I am really not sure what the compression for that engine should be. I would say that you could go to a Kaswsaki service center and find the engine cheaper through them than JD. You could probibly find a Kawasaki service center other than JD in the phone book by looking under either lawnmowers or engines- gasoline.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Does your engine has ACR (automatic compression release)? If so a compression test is useless to you. You need to do a leak-down test install of a compression.