1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Computer Help Needed for Mail List

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DMAN, Feb 26, 2003.

1. DMAN

DMAN LawnSite Member

I have obtained a list of names from my countys recorder of deeds website and i was wondering if anyone knows how to take the names i printed out from the site and put them into a word database without me manually entering each name into the database from the printed sheets?
    Can i scan the sheets and then create the database in word? The county does not have a downloadable site. I assume this might have to be done by manually entering each name from the lists to the spreadsheet. I will be creating a form letter in Word with a mail merge.Any help would be appreciated!!

Darron

2. gpriddy

gpriddy LawnSite Member
    from MD

DMAN,

Scanning them in is easy enough. You may want to try to scan them into both a word document as well as a spreadsheet document. The database will read the spreadsheet information. The only problem I have had with doing this is that too much info had to be reformatted in order to fit. When you scan, you must scan the information in as text; not as a picture. Here is where the problems enter in your (my) computer tends to do a little too much interpretation of the information...

Good Luck...
    Gary