Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I have a Jacaranda Mimosifolia in my front yard: a delight to the eye with its bright ball of lavender flowers in the California Summer. The trunk is about 8" (20cm) in diameter, and the crown reaches to about 18 feet (5.5 m).

Unfortunately, there is a largish surface root -- about 3-1/2" (9 cm) in diameter -- that goes directly from tree towards a patio some 6 feet (2 m) from the trunk. The root splits into two smaller "branches" about 4 feet (1.2 m) from the trunk.

When I asked whether I should remove this root, a local lawn care guy advised me to sever one of the two smaller root branches, wait for the tree to recover, sever the other, wait for the tree to recover again, then remove the larger root back to the trunk.

I was not entirely sure that this was sound advice, but today, I severed the first of the two small roots. Now I'm wondering if I've done the right thing, or if I should just leave the poor tree alone. The patio does not show any signs of damage at this point, but the root that cuts across the lawn is somewhat unsightly and scarred from frequent mower injuries.

My questions:

How will I know if and when the tree has recovered from the smaller root severance?

Should I quit with the one small root branch severed and let the tree recover fully?

Should I continue and cut the second smaller root (and if so, when)?

If so, should I continue and remove the main surface root after another interval (of how long)?

Lots of questions, I realize. I hope that someone can advise me so that I don't damage this beautiful tree (any more than I may have done already).

Thank you,

Dave in San Jose

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.