Lawn Care Forum banner

Concrete porch opinions.

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DeereHauler 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm currently designing a job, and when i went to the home to take some measurements the homeowner threw a little bit of a curve ball for me. The job is a fairly strait forward remove old concrete sidewalk, and replace with new, redesigned walkway using pavers.

So the home has a front porch, 12' x 5', concrete, elevated about 2 feet above grade, with a concrete footer, block and brick wall. and the concrete slab supports one porch post in the front corner.

My plan was to just replace the sidewalk and leave the concrete pad. The homeowner asked what we could do to make it flow better since it would be pavers leading up to the point, and the home is brick. We both agreed it would be an odd transition, and I had thought about having it stained to closer match the colors of the pavers/house.

Its a "tudor" style house with an off white stucco between dark brown wood, and the remainder of the home, including the front porch is a darker brown/red brick.

This is a picture before we replaced the back last year, but it gives an idea of the homes color and style. I don't currently have a picture of the front, but i will take one right away.

so.... what to do?

Plant Property Window Brickwork Land lot

See less See more
#3 ·
Can you do an overlay with something thinner on the porch?
that was a thought. Right now we have a 7 1/2" from the front door threshold to the concrete slab, so an overlay product would need to be pretty thin so we don't make a big change to the height of that step.

#5 ·
An acid stain would be a fairly cheap, easy way to take away the "sharpness" of a grey concrete stoop. There is a slight learning curve to the process though.
Thats something i would sub out to a concrete pro. I don't feel i know enough about it, and this is NOT the job for me to have a learning curve! I wouldn't mind learning how to do something new, but i also don't want to replace the whole area because i screwed it up..haha...

But thanks for the opinion, its the best option at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.