Condo bid and equipment question

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Daybreak, May 11, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

Sorry I meant you got the math right, and I agree its too low. My real issue besides that is, when do I make the move, do I invest in a large machine. The work seems to be there, Ive had 2 offers in the last week for large jobs. But it will require an investment. Its a paradox, more work, larger jobs are putting me in a bad spot almost.

2. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

A great point, the recycling depots here actually charge for dumping grass, oddly enough not for anything else ie: leaves, limbs, branches..etc

I'm trying to get a firm grasp of how often they want us, I was told by the person who called me that they wanted it done every 10 days, and its throwing off my numbers a bit, because if we have to come a 4th time for whatever reason, its a loss.

Talks with the manager are ongoing, I'm still grasping with the numbers a bit, but I'm definitely aiming higher than my original assessment.

3. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

I have a seasonal helper, but he has another job. I'd have to find a suitable backup, a fair point. But are these reasons enough to not take on new work? Expansion cant always be a bad thing right?

4. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

Just want to say I appreciate all the responses so far, lots to digest but I glad for the help and insights.

Just to circle back on something, IF I did want to take this on can we come to a consensus on a machine type/size, there's a lot of tiered slopes in the complex near the pool, what would work best. I don't want to over/under buy if I'm going to shell out. Plus more work could follow that requires a larger deck.

5. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

if you have the opportunity and desire to grown, why ask somebody else? they dont run your company. regardless what the contract says you can make your own under your own rules. they say 10 days? cool, quote it for as needed. and the leaf cleanup there is going to be horrendous. why dont you start by telling us what you have and what are the visions for your company. if you're looking for personal opinions I don't touch lawn mowing unless i get everything else with it, its full service or nothing.

hort101 likes this.
  6. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

You don't say what equipment you have now. If you are going to leap to bigger properties, start with a 36 stander. Again we don't know what you have. Don't bag it, mulch it. Count on cutting more than one time during growing season, just the cost of doing business.

7. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

No, I’m am NOT suggesting that you should say no to this job.

8. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Also where did you come up with the 8 hours if you don't have the equipment to perform the work and need to invest in more equipment?

9. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

Not so much I want others approval, it seems (and I'm not just saying this site) when I talk to others in the business they almost always say don't do it, wait its too soon, I understand caution is needed but at some point you have to grow.

I'm sure it happens (failures) when there's always risks involved, its my call in the end of course.

The leaf clean up will be horrendous and I will expect them to pay large for it, Ill have to hire two more workers for probably a week to get it done most likely.

As for the business itself, to be honest I'm blown away by how busy and fast the jobs are coming, I was expecting to be down and out the first year. I did advertise through the postal system and that has helped out.

Right now we service mainly larger sized homes with clean ups, lawn care, weekly maintenance, we also do gutter cleaning, repairs and replacements, this new business was born out of a partnership with an exterior renovation company. So we took our expertise with us and made it a part of the business, I get asked for it so much I couldn't say no.

Expectations are moderate at this point, I never thought Id have to make decisions like this so soon. Id like to have a small steady client base mostly residential, but a commercial property thrown in as a larger source of income.

10. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

With the addition of a larger machine the time to do the work would be well within the realm of 8 hours. With two of us working, its a fair assessment I think. Only cutting and edging is required from what Ive been told.

Without investment I wont even consider it, we wouldn't be able to do it otherwise. So you're right, but the question is: is it worth investing in and how to go about it properly without losing money.