Condo bid and equipment question

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Daybreak, May 11, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

I got that, I was just throwing the questions out there for discussion not toward you. Sorry bout that.

2. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

Sorry I missed this post, I appreciate the suggestion. Right now we only have Honda push mowers, nothing large. We only service residential homes right now, the business is still in its infancy. Bigger jobs are starting to get offered and I'm looking for suggestions on how to go about it sensibly.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

For 3 major reasons I'd pass on this job.
    1. $500/ cut is very low for 16 man hours.
    2. Don't have a weekly schedule
    3. Don't have the majority of needed equipment yet.

In all reality you would make a good bit more off of 10-$50 residential lawns than this property.

BrandonV likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

Thanks for replying. I agree with all that, although #2, a schedule would be worked out I'm still in early talks with the property management, I haven't submitted a formal proposal.

To be honest I enjoy doing residential work right now, I might just stay the course. I'd rather the growth be organic rather than forced. Plus the costs are getting out of hand on larger machines, at least for new ones. It feels too soon, just hard to say no to work you know.

5. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

buy 2 mowers capable of bagging, its a larger property not unreal, its smaller then you think though, but a lot of corners to navigate, stick around 48". have a stick edger or walk behind edger. there is much more time trimming then mowing here. a walk behind blower is not a good idea, a lot of short runs, however they work wonders in parking lots. its free to bid, bid it to make money on your terms. a machines cost is perspective.

6. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, Ill keep it in mind. Its not too bad a property but its very tricky on the left sided area, tiered and tight in places. Plus all the front lawns are small and hilly on the parking lot side.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i saw it, I personally wouldn't ride this lawn. keep in mind on weird hills that line trimming is faster than any push mower, but the push mower can make it look nicer.

hort101 and Daybreak like this.
  8. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

No offense taken here.

I also just realized you quoted price in Canadian dollars. I’m thinking in US dollars.

9. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

$500 = $373 USD.

That’s way too low for 16 labor hours.

hort101 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Daybreak

Daybreak LawnSite Member

NVM, you just posted what i was going to.. lol