1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

confused about pumps and wheel motors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lzrj, Jul 5, 2006.

1. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Can someone tell me the difference between the different makes of pumps and wheel motors. I see the good mowers list Parker wheel motors. And I think I've see White as a make as well. Tell me what I should be looking for and what to stay away from with pumps and wheel motors.

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

because this is an interesting subject. I'll add what little I know and hope others add to it. Generally, any component rated as industrial or commercial will last a couple of thousand hours and some people report 3-4000 or more with good care. Hydro-gear,Parker and the others you mentioned are good as long as you get the commercial rated. Hydro-gear offers some good homeowner unit systems-IZT and EZT but they aren't designed to the same life span as pumps and wheel motors. When you say 10cc or 12cc pumps, I understand this is the amount of fluid pumped by each revolution of the input pulley. Walker runs a unit system built by Eaton(?) that is, of course, commercial rated and I think Dixie chopper runs a White system claimed to be the strongest mower hydro made. Corrections or additions to the above are cheerfully requested.:)

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Grasshopper run BDP pumps and Ross-Parker wheel motors, 31cc, i believe. Those little 10 and 12cc pumps make me sick!

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We Had A 725 Grassshopper That Had 10cc Pumps.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Grasshoppers are good mowers but I don't seem that popular in most of the country. They are around here, maybe because of the terrain. I think they would sell better if they were red or Richard Petty would sponsor them. In all seriousness they just don't premote themselves like Exmark.

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe an old Gemini not a G2

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

like a 2002 or 2003 model good mower for the cut and ride but man the pumps were noisey like they were going to blow.