Confused in PA ..... Help Wanted !

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PetersLawnService11, Sep 13, 2011.

  1. PetersLawnService11

    PetersLawnService11 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    OK, i'm looking to start a part time mowing/snow removal in PA. I have one full time potential customer I am meeting this week. Co-workers at my full time job said that I need to get a Fed tax ID , PA tax ID and insurance before I can even get started. Is this true ? I've been searching all morning and can't seem to find any info. :hammerhead:

    I just want to start with say 5 - 10 customers and see where it goes from there.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

  2. ReddensLawnCare

    ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,651

    Your co worker is right
  3. zak406

    zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,516

    get registered with the state and that will take care of most tax issues, then get commercial vehicle insurance and a liability policy incase you **** something up
  4. J&R Landscaping

    J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,095

    You'll need to license your company name as well. This is, unless your using your name i.e. Mark Johnson lawn care or etc...

    I would go meet with the client and try to land them. For just mowing a few lawns, I would let the legal issues go for the remained of the season. What could you make for the rest of the season with 5 customers, $1500 or so.. I wouldn't go through all the hassle for just that little bit of time. Once you see if its for you, then you can work on the legal issues over the winter..
  5. sealcutter

    sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.
    Messages: 255

    No such thing as part time snow plowing if you know what I mean. I would do all my home work this winter and hit it hard in the spring. I only sub my trucks out to another contractor now and hold no contracts of my own. Remember snow plowing lot are contracts and you better have a plan when one of your trucks craps out on you. Get the insurance start small and don't burn yourself out.

    Good luck with that.:)
  6. PetersLawnService11

    PetersLawnService11 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    Thank you for the replies. When I say snow removal, i'm just sticking with sidewalks and driveways for now. No thoughts of putting a plow on my truck as of right now.

    I have a decent govt job, just looking for a little extra cash on the side for right now unless something serious changes.
  7. mpriester

    mpriester LawnSite Member
    Male, from Dunbar, Pa.
    Messages: 104

    when i started this i contacted the state and they said unless i plan on charging sales tax there is no need for a state license, you can contact the federal gov't and get a EIN number, check with the county you live in and see if they require you to get a license through the county in which you live and also the township, definitely get liability insurance for you and the customers protection.
  8. TLS

    TLS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,943

    In PA, lawn services are taxable....It's not an optional thing. State of PA has a website to register for this.

    First, you need to file/register for a fictitious name.

    If your a sole proprietorship, your SS# is your Fed tax number.

    These days everything you need to know is online.

    In the 1980's when I started, they were not.
  9. mpriester

    mpriester LawnSite Member
    Male, from Dunbar, Pa.
    Messages: 104

    Thank You, i'm glad someone knows what they are talking about as it seems the government workers don't.

Share This Page