1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Confused on which Ferris ztr to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meth, Mar 27, 2008.

1. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

I'm actually in the process of purchasing my first Ferris ztr now - although I am VERY confused as to which one to buy - I only have just under an acre and a half to cut, it will only be used for residential for my personal property. I am considering the is500 with a 52" deck and an is1500 with the 19/48 set-up.

The is1500 is approx. $700.00, although it appears to be a nice machine, do you think its overkill for me?

2. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i'ld go with the 500 i tried one last year it was a very good cut and ride... go for it i love the suspension
    what else does your dealer sell??
    exmark?
    Bad Boy?
    ect...

3. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

His only other mfg for ztr's is snapper - I have pretty much decided on the Ferris now just determining which of the 2 models to buy. I was leaning towards the 500 also, but it has the BS EL engine, whereas the other has the kawi - but for $700 is it worth it?

4. Danielslawnservice

ferris used to sell a 1000 but stopped that would be perfect for you! so if it's only 700 more i would go for it for the kawi eng. it will give u more life and u'll have it for ever just make sure u keep it up and u'll have it for a Long time.. best o luck..

5. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

Thanks - thats the way I am leaning and i am getting a fair price of 6199, my only other concern is the size of the deck - will I have enough overhang to get a nice edge with the 48" or do I need a 52"? If i need the bigger deck then I need to go with the is500 since the larger 1500 is out of my budget

6. js.lawn

js.lawn LawnSite Member

the 1500 took the place of the 1000

7. js.lawn

js.lawn LawnSite Member

if your using it for yourself as in ur home only the 500 well do what u want it too but id do it with the 52 you might have to slow down alittle with the b s motor but it well do it for u

8. Danielslawnservice

u should wait than and demo it cause
    it all depends on experience i cut a cemetery and get right up close cause i hate using a trimmer....
    i still say 1500 cause of the engine
    is this your first zts???
    if it is than i would go w/ the 500 and a bigger deck
    unless u can afford the 1500's bigger deck...

have u thought of exmark?
    they have a machine called "Quest" and that would be the perfect size for you.
    it's made for a homeowner w/ commercial quality...

9. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

Thanks for the info - this is my first ztr and i am looking to get a good one that is why I am leaning towards the 1500, although I am sure the 500 will do just fine - there is just such little talk and reviews on this newer model.

I have looked at the exmarks as well, but to be quite honest my local ferris dealer has been such a pleasure to deal with I want to give him the business and I think the after sale support would be much better

10. js.lawn

js.lawn LawnSite Member

go demo the two and then go from there