Connectors-what do you use?

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Stuttering Stan, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of connectors do you use for jumper wires on rooflines? We have been using clip-ons with vampire points from Cooper Wiring Devices. However, we seem to be having issues finding male plugs that are not polarized and female plugs that will accept polarized prongs. Am I making sense or are there better connectors on the market?

2. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

I use the same thing (Zip Plugs) I have been snipping the wider prong so it will fit the smaller female connector never had any problems with it in 6 year so I guess its ok to do it that way. had an old guy show me it and he has been installing for like 12+ years

3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

I keep a 4" grinder in my trailer and buzz down the wider point to make it fit. I forgot the grinder at the beginning of the year for one job so now after a trip to HD I have two grinders. Hell, at least now I will have a dedicated grinder in my lighting toolbox. You have to love an excuse to buy more power tools.

I figured this out myself and also made my own mid splice zip plugs before anyone started to sell them. Sometimes you have to get creative if the market does not have what you need.

Something I would like to design and patent would be C9 cords with All-In-One type clips that click into place and do not fall off easily. You could replace them if they break but they would not fly off when you unroll your spool to do a re-installation.

I also have to say that Lite Source in Lubbock is the way to go for clips. I just realized this year after using my favorite company that has a warehouse in Sherman, TX for the last year for clips. I found a Lite Source clip on my customers gutter last week that had been in the Texas sun for an entire year and I was able to re-use it like it had just come out a new bag. I found a C9 magnetic clip on another house and it turned to powder the second I touched it. On the same house that had 200 C7 bulbs almost no clips came off when we unrolled the spool.

I have to say with the other clips I was using it's a give that no less then 30% of the clips are going to fly off and by year number two the clips have lost much of their clamping elasticity.

4. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

We do the same thing. No problems. I just use a good pair of tin snips. So much cheaper then buying Jumpers that are 3,6,12 ft. I just make what ever size I need.

5. OP
    OP
    Stuttering Stan

Gentlemen, thanks for the input. I'll try snipping that 1cm off the male prong.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. OP
    OP
    Stuttering Stan

OK the snip test failed today. I used Oakiter(sp) snips and it would not cut through the copper pole. Can someone recommend a specific snipper tool?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

I never thought it would be easy to snip the plugs so I went straight to using a 4" grinder. Use an aggressive wheel so the job is quick and you don't start to heat the prong to the point where it start to melt the plastic at the base of the prong and it begins to float around.

You can grind down a prong in about 30 seconds. You get a super clean trim job and can cleanup any barbs or grinding slag for a clean fit. It's also hard to lose a 4" grinder in your toolbox. I bought a Milwaukee for about $60 but you can get a Ryobi for probably $30.

8. BeachysLawn

BeachysLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Don't snip the male prong. Use the regular gilbert zip plugs from Holiday Lite Source for your end plugs. If you need an inline connector, just use the same female plug and cut out a notch on the closed end to let the wire feed straight through. Efficient, clean, no hassle and no need to carry a grinder on the truck. You can make this work on the fly.

http://litesource.com/electrical/spt-1-adapters/female-400.html