Conserva Irrigation Franchise

Love the Green Biz

LawnSite Fanatic
Anyone out there care to weigh in on being a Conserva franchise? Member irrigators (myself included) would like to get some feed back on your experience. Please be honest in your assessment.

Dean3812

LawnSite Member
I am a current Franchisee. What kind of feedback are you looking for? I used to lurk here, and I saw this and figured I should join!

OP
Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz

LawnSite Fanatic
I am a current Franchisee. What kind of feedback are you looking for? I used to lurk here, and I saw this and figured I should join!
Thanks for responding. Has your experience been profitable and in particular have you been able to upsell clients on the services needed?

I install for new projects and upsell to existing clients weather based controllers only (Irritrol Climate Logic). I am not a fan of predictive analytics weather based programming as I prefer the weather adjustments to originate from on site readings. Plus I don't want to hear from the client every time something deviates from what they expected.

I find a percentage of prospective clients are deaf to watering saving and "cheap out" with a rain sensor only system from competitors. Also many do not want to test their back flow devices (though 400-500 of my clients a year do so).

So my question also is how has the drive for the better client been going?

Dean3812

LawnSite Member
Predictive weather analysis works well for what it is, and typically takes some refinement. Its easier to work with when you have a couple of them up for a while and can refine the metrics they use. You can also augment them with onsite weather sensors as well. At the end of the day, these types of controllers will surely take over the market, and for good reason, they are more reliable and consistent than the user.

As far as water savings go, its only one part of it. We want to be good stewards of the environment, but the by product of "saving" water, really means better utilization of the water we are putting down. In turn, you get a better quality turf.

Backflow's are very state specific, and I can not advise much on that. I can say that we test the majority of our customers back flows. With that being said, it has taken quite a bit of effort in order to get certified to do it.

Overall, the brand is great. I would certainly recommend you look into it, especially if you are already in the space. There is immense value to the brand and how we approach irrigation. Not only that, but you have a whole bunch of very experienced people to lean on. The power of franchising is not only in the franchise itself, but the peer groups you get to surround yourself with.

OP
Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz

LawnSite Fanatic
You can also augment them with onsite weather sensors as well.
You mean adding a simple rain sensor for when the "predictive" aspect misses it's target (which it does at times)-not a robust platform. And the flip side when it misses and suspends watering when rain did not hit the area (as I've had happen many times). That said I am installing a Hunter HCC tomorrow and will let the WIFI connect and adjust as the clients requested it-with a 27 zone system he won't need to think much. And of coarse the rain sensor add on.

I would certainly recommend you look into it, especially if you are already in the space.
Thanks but no thanks-been in business over 50 years with a huge account base and already offer products and services that are right up there with the Conserva platform. And test 500-700 back flow devices per year which has been growing steadily for 10 years now. What with many water main breaks and the public more aware of health issues I hope to get this up to 30+% of my clients. Sadly it is not required by law expect on initial installation.