Considering Bradley 48" stander or walk-behind w/ sulky. As a homeowner who only needs one...

Durbel

LawnSite Member
I'm retiring my rider! What considerations should I make with the Bradley WB and stand-up? If i ever buy a house with a sloped yard in the future will the stand-on perform like a WB if I were to flip up the tray? I'd love some first-hand experience info of either mower from you guys. I do understand the stander is quicker than having a sulky - I've used both types of mower, just never on slopes.

And as far as I Bradley lack of dealer support, I am aware. I'm mechanically inclined and I have shops around me that would have no issue doing the warranty work.

Thanks in advance for any input.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
We love our Bradley 48, it is great (but a little tricky) on hills. There is a learning curve to it, once you can learn how it works and in what conditions, it will cut some grass!

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I would pass on buying from them. I have been a big fan, boughtb3 sullied over the years and a blade sharpener.
Bought a new swivel sulky last week. Mowed yesterday with it, and it was a complete piece if garbage causing nonstop wheelies(leaving uncut grass), jerking the mower all over (crooked lines) and the last straw was it broke on the 2nd lawn.
After talking to them today they were pretty unhelpful. I have never had a problem from them in the past but I will never give them another dollar.

OP
D

Durbel

LawnSite Member
We love our Bradley 48, it is great (but a little tricky) on hills. There is a learning curve to it, once you can learn how it works and in what conditions, it will cut some grass!
Thanks for the reply. How many hours are on your machine and which engine do you have? Have you had any warranty work done on the mower?

I would pass on buying from them. I have been a big fan, boughtb3 sullied over the years and a blade sharpener.
Bought a new swivel sulky last week. Mowed yesterday with it, and it was a complete piece if garbage causing nonstop wheelies(leaving uncut grass), jerking the mower all over (crooked lines) and the last straw was it broke on the 2nd lawn.
After talking to them today they were pretty unhelpful. I have never had a problem from them in the past but I will never give them another dollar.
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. What went wrong with the sulky? Is this your first negative experience?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
25 hp, none, belt slipped under an idler pulley, chewed it up a bit, called them they sent me out one got it next day. Old one is still good. Runs absolutely perfect, cuts very well.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. What went wrong with the sulky? Is this your first negative experience?
I wore out the bearings in my bradley ts2006 sulky so I decided to buy the swivel wheel sulky as I have heard how much better they are for backing up vs a regular one(I never had issues personally with a normal 2 wheel backing up, but dont mind easy).

I have a ferris fw35, weighs 800+#'s, and never had a issue with other sulkies. I could not keep the front end down, constant wheelies and that means uncut grass. The slightest unevenness in a lawn made the sulky jerk the hole mower making stripes crooked.
2 hours into mowing I notice the mower won't drive straight without constant holding back the right hydro. Look down and see that the entire platform is cockeyed to the side, and the arm is bent.
20190902_191548.jpg

I emailed them the pics. Told them the complaints I had with it, all the other stuff I've bought from them, and was wondering if instead of them replacing the arm under warranty they just get me 2 wheel hubs for my old worn out sulky(never asked for a $300 refund for the piece of garbage). Best deal he would offer me was warranty the arm, and a "deal" of $100 for the hubs. That's full retail if you were wondering.

The sulky sucks, but dont sit there and insult me telling me your giving me a deal. I found new wheel/hubs/tires elsewhere for a bunch cheaper then they wanted.

Anybody in the NY area want a deal on a lightly used swivel wheel sulky as soon as the warranty parts show?