Considering buying this used permagreen Magnum.

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
The guy will take $2,000 for it. I really don't know much about these machines, but would rather own a used one to know if I will even like it before i buy a new one later on down the road. 2k sounds alot better than close to 10k.

What i know is its a PG magnum, possibly an 09' but the guy doesn't know.. he is the second owner, looks like they are a scott's franchise and they get new ones every year or something.

It doesn't spray, supposedly needs a pump. I am sure I can get that on there easy, but are the spray systems that complicated to get running on these things? (if the pump alone doesn't do it).

Any thoughts, does this sound like a good deal? I have pictures i attached. On these pics, with the one on the front view.. I'm seeing a wire hanging down. Then from the rear view i see a bungee cord. they are gonna send me a video monday i think.. its a little drive for me to go get so i'm trying to be pretty sure before i drive out there. Any feedback would be appreciated.

unnamed-37 (1).jpg

unnamed-36.jpg

unnamed-39 (1).jpg

cotyledon

LawnSite Senior Member
How many hrs? Looks like a good machine. I would beat him up on the price a little if it doesn't work. Parts are expensive
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
inzane

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
was trying to get it for 1800. He went down from 2400 to 2000, doesn't seem to want to budge, seems like it could be a fair price if it is running like he says it does. He hasn't mentioned the hours, i asked twice. so starting to wonder now if its just got a ton of hours on it. but he claims it runs good. he agreed to send a video. so as long as it runs, i figure and am hoping it wouldn't be hard to get it spraying again if it just needs a pump.

How many hrs? Looks like a good machine. I would beat him up on the price a little if it doesn't work. Parts are expensive
Posted via Mobile Device

jc1

LawnSite Silver Member
The wire is the cable for the 3rd hole. Mine is broken and I have never replaced it. I set it where I wanted it and let it be. The bungee is most likely hooked to the lever to close the gate. On mine it will open very easy, when on carrier it road bumpy it vibrates open and your dropping fertilizer. I have a small bungee on mine around the handle that I hook up to keep it from opening when not wanted.

agent walker

LawnSite Senior Member
the pump is around 200 bucks. And im pretty sure its special made for permagreen so you cant get it aftermarket. Its belt driven, not electric. Stand it on end and check out the transmission real close for leaks or cracks, esp where it bolts to frame. and make sure there isn't fertilizer setting in the top of the trans it will eat a hole in it.

grass4gas

LawnSite Bronze Member
also check the handle for cracks...pretty well torqued on. The left side is pushed far enough forward that you can see the back edge of the hopper.

Made a lot of right turns apparently.

Having owned a PG Centri, I know this is common, but that seems excessive.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Good ideas. Also call him and without warning ask him to start it. Listen on the phone. How many pulls does it take? Does it run smooth? Accelerate smoothly and quickly in neutral?
Fuel filter looks like it has not been changed for a year or two. Check the air filter when you get there. (Less than a year old--or never changed at all?) Look for oil spots on the floor--could be leaking from tranny. Is that an optional steel pin holding the impeller in place? It would be helpful if the brakes worked. Helpful if the edge deflector worked. Fertilizer and high humidity are corrosive to steel; check for evidence of same.
Hour meter is probably broken--did he show you a photo of it? Tires look worn; several years and many miles, 2009 I can believe.
Spraying system isn't too complicated. You mainly need just one nozzle working.
Should work out OK--if you are handy with tools.

OP
inzane

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
Well, what i do know is he bought it used with low hours... under 100. Then he claims they put 300 to 400 hours per year on their permagreens, and sell every 4 years.. so potentially. 1700 hours? sounds like alot to pay 2,000 for. He is supposed to check the hours on monday, but i have a feeling the hour meter will be broken. I'm gonna give it a chance with the video he's gonna send to see what i think. I also noticed right way the hopper was cracked on the edges. I am assuming it was used by employees, so possible abused a bit i would think. supposedly maintenance done every week.

There is one with 70 hrs that looks brand new right down the street, the guy is asking 4k. I think that is a freakin great deal on that machine.. but i'd be pushing it with the off season closing in. These things do not come up for sale often in my area. theres always next year.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Inzane - I own and run a 2008 PG Magnum.

My opinion...that machine looks a little beat. I would tend to take a pass. Too much fixing to do right off the bat.

I will be selling my machine at the end of the season. All cables less than a year old and all work. Pump less than 2 yrs old. I have a Ground Logic spray bar mounted that greatly increases the coverage of the machine, much better. Thinking of selling for $2500 to $3K. That is reference for you.

OP
inzane

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
yeah, I did decide to pass on it. Way to many hours.

Inzane - I own and run a 2008 PG Magnum.

My opinion...that machine looks a little beat. I would tend to take a pass. Too much fixing to do right off the bat.

I will be selling my machine at the end of the season. All cables less than a year old and all work. Pump less than 2 yrs old. I have a Ground Logic spray bar mounted that greatly increases the coverage of the machine, much better. Thinking of selling for $2500 to $3K. That is reference for you.

Top Forums