Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I tend to agree with Mac's and MILLC...after careful consideration, do what YOU want and seems to be YOUR path in life. After 40+ years in a commercial construction "skilled" trade (where I did my lawncare as a side gig until retirement last year), I cannot imagine wanting to do something different for a living or feeling "I missed out" on something I should've done but didn't try. I'm turning 63 next month and remember many occasions where guys working with or for me were complaining about having to do the job they were doing for the rest of their lives. I always thought "then get out and find something that makes you happy" but I'd bet 100% of them never did. Of course financial obligations etc plays heavily into the equation but being unhappy/unfulfilled in life is destined to be a long haul. I guess I was lucky, I loved what I did and never had those questions... Good luck to you...I'm sure it's a a lot to consider.

·
Premium Member
Ford
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think people do better when they have an interest in the job or career they do
Why not just stay a firebug??
Because transporting people who are cough all over you or fell or their sugar got too low get old pretty quick, and sitting at a fire station where you may or may not get a call, gets boring pretty quick too.

·
Premium Member
Ford
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I realize that’s pretty brash and I don’t mean that in a way to discount anyones skills, experience or knowledge but realistically it’s just not something I would ever feel comfortable doing. Now some of you have deeper relationships and know each other on a level where you would do that- again not trying to discount but there’s a large client base that wants to hear about where you learned it from, not the next guy online.
So Facebook probably isn’t a better alternative?… lol

·
Premium Member
Ford
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have a B.S. in Ornamental Horticulture/Landscape Design. Knowing what I know now, if I was to start over I would have gone an extra year and majored in landscape architecture. If you're interested in landscape design, the program you listed above are only the basics. You'll need to go beyond this to take the design courses.
Not really a drawing type person, but one the local guys here, whom I’d probably say would qualify as a mentor, has a bachelors degree from MSU, he’s been at it for nearly 40 years, brings in about 750 a year and gets his winters off.

it is a basic program though, I see it more so to gain that extra knowledge to help me where I am and to get me over the top per se.
I don’t see it as whipping it out in front of a client and say “oh I have a degree, I know what I’m talking about…”

·
Registered
25,490 Posts
Because transporting people who are cough all over you or fell or their sugar got too low get old pretty quick, and sitting at a fire station where you may or may not get a call, gets boring pretty quick too.
Ok so your bored with your job like millions of other people
I haven't heard anything about the green industry and how college is going to get you where you want

Reactions: JawT and Mark Stark

·
Premium Member
Ford
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok so your bored with your job like millions of other people
I haven't heard anything about the green industry and how college is going to get you where you want
I’m not leaving the fire gig, I still enjoy it, but it does it boring and repetitive, it’s nice to be able to do extra curricular things apart of that to break the habit of doing the same thing

·
Registered
25,490 Posts
I’m not leaving the fire gig, I still enjoy it, but it does it boring and repetitive, it’s nice to be able to do extra curricular things apart of that to break the habit of doing the same thing
Sounds like you're committed to the fire life
Just throw some hardscapes down in your spare time ..
low expectations
Then skip the gym and brag to friends all the big stones you throw around🏋️‍♂️

Reactions: Mark Stark

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Sounds like you're committed to the fire life
Just throw some hardscapes down in your spare time ..
low expectations
Then skip the gym and brag to friends all the big stones you throw around🏋️‍♂️
It's actually not bad advice. If you just want to take classes because you just want to learn something and find it interesting, then just do it. From the thread title I envision someone wanting to make a career out of something, make an investment in education and then have it pay off. To me, that takes commitment and from what I gather in this thread, it's just boredom and change of pace. Which is fine, there is nothing wrong with that at all, but you can do that already without the commitment of time and money into a new degree and still keep you day job that you seem to enjoy, just get bored with sometimes.

If you just want to take some classes and learn some design or whatever and future payoffs in the education aren't really paramount, then just do it.

·
Registered
56,776 Posts
I know reading comprehension is tough for some, but I don’t think I was asking for permission, just wanted to hear some thoughts, it appears some understood, not so much you
Okay I think I'm going to change my original answer. Sounds to me like you need to go to school. You talk about reading comprehension but it seems you're the one that failed that.

Hort didn't say that his permission was required... He was simply saying that you don't need permission from others to do so.

Sounds like you are looking for permission now. Just be a grown up and go make a choice mmmmm kkkkkkk

·
Premium Member
Ford
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It's actually not bad advice. If you just want to take classes because you just want to learn something and find it interesting, then just do it. From the thread title I envision someone wanting to make a career out of something, make an investment in education and then have it pay off. To me, that takes commitment and from what I gather in this thread, it's just boredom and change of pace. Which is fine, there is nothing wrong with that at all, but you can do that already without the commitment of time and money into a new degree and still keep you day job that you seem to enjoy, just get bored with sometimes.

If you just want to take some classes and learn some design or whatever and future payoffs in the education aren't really paramount, then just do it.
I get healthcare out of the fire gig, along with an hsa account. and I give back to my community (cliche, I know…) it’s not a paying job in the sense of a regular full time job.
landscaping/ lawn maint is my full time gig. In Michigan, to be at most full time departments
, would require
Medic school, which is at least another 2 years, and once again, running primarily medical calls is pretty boring (I feel like I’m repeating myself)
There are a few (actually Only one that I one
Of) that don’t do medical transport and sub it out. Working at a full time department would also require a 24/48 schedule which kinda puts a killer
On the snow business which is pretty good income
For
Us

21 - 40 of 85 Posts