Consumer grade core aerators ...

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Fuzzy1, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have recommendations for/against any particular core aerators for homeowner use. I need something for approximately 1 acre.

2. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

Other than the cheap Brinly tow behinds, most everything else is commercial quality. Many years ago, I used the brinly but had to remove all but the outside two rows to get any penetration no matter what the weight towing with a lawn tractor. I'd suggest renting a couple walk behind versions to see if it's something you want to invest in. I'ts a ton of work using many walk behind versions.

3. OP
    OP
    Fuzzy1

Walk behinds are out of the question ... I have extensive nerve damage in my back that shows up as horrific hip pain when I try to walk more than a few minutes. My local rental has a few pull alongs that I might try.
    thanx for your reply ... ...

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  4. Texas*Golf*Bum

Texas*Golf*Bum LawnSite Member

I use my Exmark stand on and love it.

5. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Get a bid from company that does aeration if u only aerate once a year my be worth it so u don't have the headache.

phasthound likes this.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Sometimes rental yards sell off used equipment. You might inquire to see if they have any for sale.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, I believe, at least for sowing seed, you need more holes--but not as deep. So a consumer grade aerator or spiker should work. But you will have to go over the area repeatedly, if you want a high ratio of holes.
    You want a tow-behind, right?

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Fuzzy1

YEP ...

hort101 likes this.
  9. Dandan111

Dandan111 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 48 inch. Agrofab. Hard to get enough weight on it to do much other than about 1 inch. Probly depends how compacted it is. If I were doing it over I'd probably not buy one. Have a professional come with a machine.

10. OP
    OP
    Fuzzy1

YES