1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Contracting to mow Army Reserve Center

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Jun 30, 2020.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody have any experience with working or placing a bid to mow for the Army Reserves. I wonder if they pay exceptionally well, and how long the contracts run. Last year I was contacted to bid in an Army facility, but I was a little turned off on the demanding language in the bid specifications.

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

Is it a bid? If it is how much it's worth is all based on your fellow competitors. Doubt the government would be allowed to not choose the cheapest bid assuming all requirements are covered.

zlandman likes this.
  3. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

We received an RFP in the mail for Michigan NG, I informed the procurer that we wouldn't be able to submit a bid w/o a site visit (this was during the beginning of covid) then the world shutdown and due date was set to June 6?
    If it's through the gov, and not a NSP or even RSP, you'll need to register in SAM, you'll also want to make sure you have your ducks in align, they wan't to know who will be on site, what equipment you have, references, insurance, are you a minority, and blah blah blah. IMO, it was a massive pain in the ass and not even worth it for the one site that was semi close to us.

Government bids don't always go with the cheapest, they don't always go with the minority, they don't always go with veteran owned, and they don't always go with companies in HUD zones, but these things certainly help. like any other bid, if it's not submitted online, they'll want it in a sealed envelope by a certain date and time, some of them you even have to go to a pre bid meeting. Fun stuff!!!

4. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

I am about tired of bidding on government stuff. Everytime I do they award it to a minority or disabled contractor no matter what the rest of the qualifications are.

zlandman likes this.
  5. Myers Lawn Care

Myers Lawn Care LawnSite Member

The one thing I like about them is that they pay weather it needs it or not. I had one a few years back for about 10 years. And on the drought years you still get paid. It's all paid out monthly. And got a 3% bump every year.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

They pay whatever you bid it at if you are awarded it
    That’s how well they pay.
    You have to read the bid docs for everything else
    You need a DUNS number and another numbers (can’t recall mars murs... something) which has you registered as a contractor for federal work.
    No numbers , your bid is ignored.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

That’s not true
    You have to look at the type of job, if it’s listed as a “set aside” then you’re either going to be rejected entirely or at a disadvantage bidding.

example I can’t bid on national cemeteries because it’s a disabled veterans set aside meaning you have to have a service connected disability over x percent (I don’t recall how much , only that I don’t qualify)
    I’m not a business owner here so no qual
    I could , in theory start my own, do the paperwork and sub myself to do the work...

there’s a service connected disabled plumber that bids on the cemetery work frequently and another than does janitorial work... neither one of them mow grass... but there they are.

so if you got into one of those categories they have set asides for... you can bid on anything , eventually you will find something no one is bidding, then you get the award and you’ve got a huge budget to get it done.

I suspect that’s how they ended up with $200 hammers and $1000 toilet seats.

8. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

It most certainly is true.

9. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

I met the president of a nationwide company that specializes in military bases maintenance.

10. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

What Ted said, you need a dun and Bradstreet number, which is easy to get, the SAM thing sucks
    It’s like 14 pages of very detailed questions to fill out.

also, have an employee handbook in place and an ethics program, you’ll need those

Cam15 likes this.