contractors balding my grass

johntx14

LawnSite Member
I work at an aprtment complex when the guys come to cut the grass they bald the hell out of it and i spend the next week trying to keep the grass from burning and looking good again with lots of watering. I asked the foreman why they cut it so short he says they have to get a even cut. I think i would rather have an uneven cut with live grass whats your guys who are in the same professions take on that statement.

FoghornLeghorn

LawnSite Senior Member
I work at an aprtment complex when the guys come to cut the grass they bald the hell out of it and i spend the next week trying to keep the grass from burning and looking good again with lots of watering. I asked the foreman why they cut it so short he says they have to get a even cut. I think i would rather have an uneven cut with live grass whats your guys who are in the same professions take on that statement.
What the foreman said doesn't make any sense. If you cut all the grass at 4" it will be just as even as cutting all the grass at 2".

Sounds like the foreman is not very educated on lawn maintenance, or just talking out of his butt to say whatever he thinks you need to hear to leave him alone.

What part of TX are you in?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
They sound like lazy hacks who simply want to go as fast as they can, with little regard for what their work looks like, because they have been allowed to get away with it so far. They should be fired, and someone who takes pride in their work should be hired in their place.

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
If we scalped our cool season grasses like that in Vancouver, we'd have weeds taking over in no time. Here I recommend 2 to 2.5 inches for a healthy grass height.

I don't know what type of grass you have. Even though, I also think the foreman
is being a goof.

Some companies cut really short, because then they don't have to bag as much.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
If we scalped our cool season grasses like that in Vancouver, we'd have weeds taking over in no time. Here I recommend 2 to 2.5 inches for a healthy grass height.
In a whole lot of places 2 to 2.5 inches is considered scalping. My absolute minimum is 2.5 inches and a lot of mine are cut at 3 inches.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
All my lawns but two are cut at 3in. The two are cut at 3.5 because they are so thick. I tried to cut one of them at 3 and had scalp marks. They didn't get mad as it grew back in just fine but it seems I can't get it any lower without scalping in places. All are KBG/Fescue.

The foreman doesn't have a clue.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
Since you WORK for the company that is PAYING them to service the lawn, I'd suggest talking to the foreman and telling him, not asking but telling him what height to cut it at. Or talk to YOUR boss and explain the issue with them. Let them know what you're doing to try and keep the lawn from getting burned up from stress and that you shouldn't be "wasting" yours and the companies time/money doing something that can be prevented if the lawn company cut it taller.

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
The guy is a hack ....... and clueless.