Contractor's license Help?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Farbio, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Farbio

    Farbio LawnSite Member
    Messages: 99

    I believe in Washinton State it is much easier to obtain a contractor's license than most other states. I have heard that all you need to do is prove you have been in the business x Number of years and show you are licensed-insured-bonded.

    I would like to know who to contact about getting a contractor's license. I have looked in the phone book for a number to call and found nothing.
    Could use a little help.
  2. Mykster

    Mykster LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 668

    How long you've been business doesn't matter. Just as long as you show proof of being Bonded, and Ins'd they will have your Lic. in a few minutes. The cost is $100 for your Lic.

    To obtain your Lic. you need to go to your local Dept. Labor & Indutries. Here's the numbers for the Everett office.

    Customer Service (425)290-1300

    Contractors Regristration (425)290-1400
  3. Just Turned Pro

    Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member
    Messages: 109

    But then don’t forget …
    To mow or service and collect sales tax you need a UBI # and a registered trade name…
    To sell plant matter you need a nursery license…
    To install the plant matter or move dirt you need a contractor license…
    To get a contractor license you need a bond and insurance…
    To apply any pesticide or herbicide you need a pesticide license…
    Then if you have employees… Industrial insurance, unemployment insurance…

    I’m probably leaving something out. Ahhh yes, you gotta love Washington

    The easiest way to sort it all out is to go here . Just follow the screens and input the information for what you intend to do and where and it will print out a list of licenses you need and agencies to contact. They used to have an offline version you could download but I don't see it anymore.
  4. Farbio

    Farbio LawnSite Member
    Messages: 99

    Thank You Mykster and Just Turned Pro! Your information was just what I needed. I have been doing lawn maintenance for 5 years with license & insurance of course. I'm trying to move more into the landscaping end of the business. I'm going to my agent to get bonded tomorrow. It sounds like I just need to call labor and Industries and I'm set. Your right Just Turned Pro, you gotta love Washington.
  5. Mykster

    Mykster LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 668

    What kind of license are you talking about here?
  6. Farbio

    Farbio LawnSite Member
    Messages: 99

    "What kind of license are you talking about here?"

    I currently have a business license and liability insurance and am looking to get a contractors license. I just got bonded today and will call about the contractors license tommarrow.

Share This Page