1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts for Sale

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LawnExpressions, Mar 21, 2005.

1. LawnExpressions

LawnExpressions LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

I was just curious if anyone has ever purchased maintenance accounts from another LCO. This guy was trying to sell me a used ztr, trailer and 30 accounts for 25 grand. Obviously I declined, but I wanted to know what everyone else thinks 'cause I've heard just about every formula or calculation under the sun. Thanks

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on this subject and you will see every opinion on this subject under the sun too.

3. Mike TMI

Mike TMI LawnSite Member

I have bought out 3 different companies. The first was a small operation and I approached him out cutting some lawns. It was mid-August and I asked him how many accounts he took care of. It was like 20 or so. I told him I would give him $2,000 the very next day and we would sign a contact and a non-compete letter. He jumped on it and I gave him the money the next day.

The other 2 were a little tricky. 1 LCO wanted the price of each lawn X 5 visits. He had 80 residentials and 1 HOA. I ended up getting him down to 4 visits per house and he threw in the HOA. We obviously signed a contract...but now he works for me doing my fertilizer.

The last one was the hardest...he wanted 4 visits...I offered 3 visits plus he sell me his equipment. He ended up taking the 3 and I bought one mower for $500.00

So I have bought a few companies and interested in buying a few more....

Anyone selling?

4. rodfather

You were fortunate...you would not get that lucky purchasing my company I can tell ya.

5. Mike TMI

Mike TMI LawnSite Member

rodfather-
    Trust me...I walked away each time laughing about how lucky I got, except the one I bought that he came and worked for me. We actually have become pretty good friends.

You ever bought a company in your area? What do they go for?

Mike-

6. rodfather

Nope, got too many accounts now on my own Mike. ;)

7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

going rate for accounts up here seems to be 2 months of total revenue. Just sold my business. It worked out well, for me and the other LCO.