Control Valve Constantly Flooded

tennisjon2002

LawnSite Member
I purchased a new home and the irrigation control valve box is constantly flooded. Often not to the top and it is often flooded even when the irrigation hasn't been run in weeks. Therefore I am thinking it is more of a design reason it is flooding, as it is downgrade from much of the system rather than a leak. The builder and landscaper both are claiming that is normal and the control valves are designed to be submerged. That is not my general understanding. Is that correct? What is the best way to fix this, assuming it is not a leak?

kawasaki guy

LawnSite Fanatic
Turn off the system and see if it is still wet in a few days.

OP
T

tennisjon2002

LawnSite Member
What brand valve?
It is most likely a leak somewhere.
Valves can be submerged in water for long periods of time, probably indefinitely. Try to not freeze them submerged in water.
Rain Bird valves. Here they are day of installation. I will take a picture of current state.
Freeze could be a concern during winter. Location is NC. No deep freezing but potentially enough.

IMG_20170630_191224399.jpg

Rain Bird valves.
Those are Rain Bird 100-DV Slip x Slip valves. They do not leak or cause valve boxes to be full of water when properly installed. (The installation looks ok.) Take the advice of 'kawasaki guy' and turn off the water at the point of connection to the irrigation system, typically at the backflow preventer. If there is no change, then the source of the water is somewhere other than the irrigation system. If the valve box dries out, then you have a leak. If the valve box dries out after turning off the water, turn it back on and then look for the leak location.
The leak can be in the main line pipe, fittings and even the valve if, for example, the screws are not tight on the bonnet of a valve. (Hand tight using a screw driver is adequately tight. Do not over-tighten.) It is conceivable that the valve has a crack in it, but that is so rare that it is not likely your case.

Top Forums