Controling weeds when you can't spray

SDBI COMPLETE

LawnSite Member
Just a question?
We in Ontario Canada and a couple other provinces,
have been restricted on the use of weed sprays!! Can't buy or apply without a permit??
Was just wondering what other members use for weed control
Just seen C-I-L advertising
"A product specially designed to prevent the germination of weed seeds".
I guess I'm looking for 'old school' idea's that work??
Thanks for any input you can share
Doug SDBI COMPLETE
2 hours north of Toronto, ON

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Doug, I have been thinking about this. Difficult problem. First thing to do is attitude adjustment--convince your customers--and yourself that dandelions are pretty.
Maybe you can get your customers to let you do a heavy overseed with thicker, more dense grass.
And take a look at improved--double dense grass seed. Modern chewings fescue varieties like "Radar" will crowd out many types of weeds.
https://www.seedsuperstore.com/catalog/p-100087/radar-chewings-fescue

Also consider, "Ruddy" fine fescue (strong creeping type).
http://www.sroseed.com/Files/Files/SRO_USA/Tech_Sheets/Turfgrass/Fine_Fescue/Ruddy_ts.pdf

Also consider, "Arcadia" Kentucky bluegrass--very dense--but the sod farms have bought up almost the entire crop for this year.
I think I have seen some dense patches of old time chewings fescue in school yards and vacant lots seeded with mixtures (including chewings) from years ago. Look around, you will see patches that are never invaded by dandelions, clover nor even crabgrass.
I think Scotts used to include a chewings fescue called "Jamestown ii" in most of their mixtures.

And yes, I have tested out controlling half-grown crabgrass by hand with a keyhole saw or tree trimming saw. Hard work, it works fairly well. Cut it off flush with the soil. It does not come back from the roots--only rhizomes can do that. Same with goosegrass. Same with spurge.

I had a couple of environmentally conscious customers years ago. They got 10 minutes of hand weeding at every treatment.
Sometimes they let me treat with triclopyr or Quicksilver--both of which are much less toxic than Weed b Gone. Spot spray uses a hundred times less product--usually. No help in Ontario--I suppose.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDBI COMPLETE

LawnSite Member
Doug, I have been thinking about this. Difficult problem. First thing to do is attitude adjustment--convince your customers--and yourself that dandelions are pretty.
Maybe you can get your customers to let you do a heavy overseed with thicker, more dense grass.
And take a look at improved--double dense grass seed. Modern chewings fescue varieties like "Radar" will crowd out many types of weeds.
https://www.seedsuperstore.com/catalog/p-100087/radar-chewings-fescue

Also consider, "Ruddy" fine fescue (strong creeping type).
http://www.sroseed.com/Files/Files/SRO_USA/Tech_Sheets/Turfgrass/Fine_Fescue/Ruddy_ts.pdf

Also consider, "Arcadia" Kentucky bluegrass--very dense--but the sod farms have bought up almost the entire crop for this year.
I think I have seen some dense patches of old time chewings fescue in school yards and vacant lots seeded with mixtures (including chewings) from years ago. Look around, you will see patches that are never invaded by dandelions, clover nor even crabgrass.
I think Scotts used to include a chewings fescue called "Jamestown ii" in most of their mixtures.

And yes, I have tested out controlling half-grown crabgrass by hand with a keyhole saw or tree trimming saw. Hard work, it works fairly well. Cut it off flush with the soil. It does not come back from the roots--only rhizomes can do that. Same with goosegrass. Same with spurge.

I had a couple of environmentally conscious customers years ago. They got 10 minutes of hand weeding at every treatment.
Sometimes they let me treat with triclopyr or Quicksilver--both of which are much less toxic than Weed b Gone. Spot spray uses a hundred times less product--usually. No help in Ontario--I suppose.
Thanks, that is what I have been doing a lot of, I have a tool on my belt every cut and get a few more each time...
Just wasn't sure if it was worth the time when I wasn't getting the root out?
And yes these are mostly yards that haven't had the needed care for a few years and the weeds got ahead of them!! So with fertilizer, top seeding and I cut my grass longer then most in my area,
WE will get it

Last edited:

BigJlittleC

Banned
Can you use "organic" options like burnout or fiesta?

Have you used the search feature at the top? This topic has been discussed ba few times.

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
I have small hand tool on my belt and a garbage bag tied to my mower, and go at it when I'm cutting:)
Sorry,for some reason thought you were referring to beds since you said old school.i have a couple hand tools for lawns but time consuming.remember once I got paid to rip out crabgrass in a lawn for an hour(pointless but I was getting paid)until guy got tired of paying me and asked me to stop