Convert Exmark Viking to Floating Deck?

lsylvain

LawnSite Senior Member
I have an old 60" turf tracer with a bad hydro that's has been sitting in the shop for 2 years now of course it had to fail a month after I sold 3 old mowers that I could have stole the parts off. I found a 48" viking on craigslist. I need a 48" deck for a couple properties I can't fit my 61", and I'm sick of walking behind my little 36" . I was thinking that if I could find an old 48" turftracer I could set it up so I could put the 60" deck on it if I got into a pinch and use it as my backup until the other machine was fixed. My question is has anyone ever heard of someone putting a floating deck on a viking? Is the base "tractor" the same and they just put the different deck on? Or vice versa someone putting a viking fixed deck on a turf tracer? If I can do this it would be great to have a "back up mower" that I can lean up in the corner and not take up all the space of a whole extra machine.

Any help would be great, I really want to swing by and get this mower tomorrow before someone else snags it, for $400 it isn't going to sit around long.

OP
L

lsylvain

LawnSite Senior Member
went ahead and bought it today. It was worth it just for the hydros. It does however look like I can make this work, by putting the 48" deck from the viking on the 60" machine. It is really close though won't know for sure until I slide the deck under and see. The viking's engine deck is quite a bit smaller and "cheaper" so I don't think it could handle the extra strain from the 60" deck, but it looks like one could take the floating deck and fabricate it into a fixed deck really easy. The other problem with the viking is it is a pull start model so there isn't any room for a battery so I'd have to find a place to put one to run the bigger engine. It looks doable.