1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Cool power apps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zlandman, May 22, 2020.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

I've treated about 120,000 sqft with cool power. After 2-3 weeks I'm not seeing much damage to target plants. Trying to figure out where I went wrong?
    I applied 1.1 oz per 1000 at 0.8 gallon. Temps have been average of 50 degrees and its rained 4 out of every 5 days.
    I should see good results by now and I believe in the product. Scratching my head where I went wrong does all the rain matter once product has dried on the plant several hours? Ill have to re treat all these with momentum.
    20200521_182044.jpg 20200521_181938.jpg 20200521_181904.jpg

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Cool power should be effective at temps over 40.
    https://www.domyown.com/cool-power-selective-herbicide-p-10297.html
    It is probably just slow due to low temps. Weeds are growing slow--is the soil a bit dry?
    I used the Lesco version of this, "Eliminate" for years. Worked fine.
    Use the full rate, maximum (1.29 oz per 1000), if you want to be sure. The main cost is your labor. Cost is much higher if you have to go back for a retreatment, or if you have to replace the customer by selling a new one.

Check yourself, to be sure you did not walk too fast, and applied the amount you intended. What type of equipment?
    For instance .8 gallons is 102 ounces per thousand sqft. Use a stopwatch--time yourself for a large square measured lawn area. You want to be sure. Do this and your quality will be way above the results from the big companies--they usually hurry the applications. Never go slow.

zlandman likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

Thanks Riggle. I told customers wait another week to see what happens, they're not real excited. Soil is very wet.
    Application method zspray and i watch speed closely.. Volume of water used verified against actual property measurement to ensure application rate.

4. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Senior Member

Those look pretty good in the sense that they are responding to it- twisting up and discoloration. If the temps have been cool so will the death 2 weeks would be expected. Just mix at the max rate and add a surfactant. If you are worried just use a premium product like Speedzone for touchups that will smoke them in a matter of a few days.

zlandman likes this.
  5. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Gold Member

I would just say wait been kind of cool they will die and it will all be just a memory

zlandman likes this.
  6. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Senior Member

Also ensure they weren't mowed the day of or even the next day- more time for the herbicide to move throughout the plant, especially with cold temps.

zlandman likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

I cut a few of them and ensure schedule. One big one is cut really long so most weeds aren't touched.

8. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

Thanks for all the replies. Suspected cool temps were part of the problem, reassuring to hear. I did tell customers slow to die is a good thing because product is going to the root and not just killing the top.
    My second year doing apps and self taught, I need to see a few seasons go by to know what to expect.

PKLIP likes this.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Customer satisfaction pays your bills. If they want it resprayed--do it again. Or offer to add a free extra weed spray next month.
    This gives you the option to ask if more weed control is needed when the time rolls around.
    Also--very important--be sure you spray for broad leaves in the fall, (and also winter annuals). A good fall weed control--about 2 weeks before frost--pretty much eliminates the chance of dandelions in spring.

zlandman likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

I did do fall blanket apps at the advice of the Site One guy. It worked real well!