Lawn Care Forum banner

Copper lighting

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting 
#1 ·
Threw two copper fixtures in a demo last week and whet to pull the demo and the copper ones are alredy looking like crap. anyone else use alot of copper? do you have to seal with somthing to keep it looking sharp. I know they fade a little mine have lots of water spots. Thanks

#2 ·
HAHAHAHA... are you serious?

Did you expect it to stay shiny and bright?

Any raw copper that doesn't start to age immediately upon installation must have been clear-coated. You are fighting a losing battle if you think you're gonna keep them looking like new.

Most people who install copper do it knowing what it will look like after being subjected to the elements. The natural patina starts out spotty and uneven and depends on humidity, sun exposure and other factors.

If you want something that's not powdercoated but with more of a controlled "aged" look, I suggest looking at the metallic finishes that Unique, RSL and SPJ offer.

#3 ·
Unfinished copper fixtures will start to weather and patina as soon as they are removed from the packaging and exposed to the environment.

If you want to have nice, new, clean looking fixtures for your demo's then you might want to use new fixtures each time, or you could try sealing some with a spray lacquer finish. I would suspect that wear and tear on the demo fixtures will damage that finish however.

I would recommend you weather a few copper fixtures for your demo kit. That means leaving them outside in the elements starting now and let them do their thing... Then the client will see just what their fixtures will look like after some time. Besides, you should probably focus on selling the system more then the fixtures anyway. "See the effect, not the source."

Personally, I think the copper fixtures look best after they have weathered for several months and 'settled down' into their own natural patina finish. Others like them best when they are shiny and new.. but keeping them that way is very hard to do.

Best of luck

#8 ·
Watch out for Lacquer or other clear coats on copper fixtures.... I have several Kichler copper and brass path lights out in the field that I installed about 7 or 8 years ago... They came from the factory with a clear coat on them and it has not stood up very well. Now the fixtures look awful... they are all blotchy... shiny where the clear coat stuck and patina where it flaked off over time. (sort of like the Mercury mag wheels on the wife's car)

A clear powder coat finish might be a lot better then lacquer, but if we are talking about demo fixtures, you have to think that they would take a bit of a beating as they get moved around etc. Stuck in the ground and left alone... who knows, they might stay shiny for 10 years as claimed.

#9 ·
Joey,
I have a few customers that have me use a copper cleaner and shine up their fixtures when I do their maintenance. What a pain!!!! Does it cost extra to have them clearcoated if my custom desires that look?
Yes, it costs the same as putting a standard powder coat on.

We do it all the time on our sample/display lights.

#10 ·
Watch out for Lacquer or other clear coats on copper fixtures.... I have several Kichler copper and brass path lights out in the field that I installed about 7 or 8 years ago... They came from the factory with a clear coat on them and it has not stood up very well. Now the fixtures look awful... they are all blotchy... shiny where the clear coat stuck and patina where it flaked off over time. (sort of like the Mercury mag wheels on the wife's car)

A clear powder coat finish might be a lot better then lacquer, but if we are talking about demo fixtures, you have to think that they would take a bit of a beating as they get moved around etc. Stuck in the ground and left alone... who knows, they might stay shiny for 10 years as claimed.
We had some old lacquerd fixtures get returned that looked just like that too. The sprayed lacquer wears off and does look very unattractive.

#11 ·
one of my sell points is the all natural finishes that age gracefully. Some manufactures will even verdi them or antique rust new lights for you. I think all it takes is a little sandblast job.

If you dont like the splotches I would suggest using a soloution to age them. Saltwater and vinegar works well. I always make it a point to show clients photos or a real live version of what the fixture will look like in time. In our experience clients dont like the bright copper or bright bronze and definatly not the bright brass.

#14 ·
Does brass have the same effect as copper does in the way it weathers.
Raw brass will also age and weather, but it does take a bit longer then with copper. A lot has to do with your climate and environmental conditions too. Here, I find that most copper path lights will develop a full patina withing about 9 months. The raw brass fixtures can take more then a year to develop their muted brown weathered look.

Have a great day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.