Cord wood question

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by Anthony.c, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Anthony.c

Anthony.c LawnSite Member

Recently I have been selling more cord wood than normal. It is all cut between 16-18" the wood is sold as a cord and delevered in a 6x10 dump trailer. I stack the front and back than throw the wood into the middle. I put as much wood in as possible and the customs are very happy would. Does that sound about right for a cord. I am going based of an ole timer who does it the same way

2. sprinter

sprinter LawnSite Member

I would suggest that you make a properly stacked 128 cubic foot cord (8x8x4) and then see what that yields in your trailer. I commend you on trying to give your customers what they are paying for. Firewood customers are getting wiser all the time about quantity and quality both. Random stacking is too unpredictable.

Quality being species and also moisture content.

Kawizx62003 likes this.
  3. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Some states have laws regarding this as well, so check that. Also a cord is 4' high x 8' long x 4' deep not 8x8x4 (maybe this is why they are happy haha). Also please PM me if you can...

sprinter likes this.
  4. sprinter

sprinter LawnSite Member

Oops! my fault. I did mean 4x4x8 of course...

I'd also want to mention moisture content. If you are advertising "fully seasoned" or something like that, a sharp customer will know that to mean about 20% moisture as measured in the middle of a fresh split with a meter. Otherwise, as a customer, I would assume green or something between.

I imagine it's getting tough to be fair to both you and the customer because there are variables, such as how splits are stacked, etc. I'm sure that in the "old days" it was simpler.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

A cord is indeed 4x4x8, but only when stacked. So without stacking, it is hard to tell how much wood is in a 6x10 trailer. Doubly hard if we don't know the height to which it is filled.

Also note that if you stack a cord, and then split the wood, the split wood will be larger than a cord, because round wood counter-intuitively stacks more tightly than split wood.

6. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

A "cord" is a legal definition of tightly stacked wood.

When it is tossed loose, the 128 cubic feet rises to 180 - 190 cubic feet depending on how long the pieces are cut.

7. woodshax

woodshax LawnSite Member

This is my first post on this site and don't want to offend anyone but I have found the easiest way make sure you give the customer what they are paying for is to split the wood and construct a 1/2 cord rick. I cut my wood at 18" so a rick 5 ft tall and 8 ft 7 inches long gets me real close. 64cuft is 64 cuft and 128cuft is 128cuft no matter how you stack it. But I do not sell by the Cord....I sell by the bag.... I have 1 cu ft bags and 2 cu ft bags, but no matter how tightly you stuff the bags you cant fit that much in the bag....so I get 100 bags out of a cord using the 2 cuft bags and 190 with the 1 cuft bags. I market them as "big" bags and "small" bags so I do not mislead anyone.....I sell inside state parks and by the bag I can get between $1000 and $1200 for a split cord.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The "official" designation of a "rick" of wood is as follows:
    A tightly staked pile of wood of any length, stacked 4' high and 8' long.
    Therefore, you have an easy measurement of a rick, with any of cut length.
    Cut 18" long: Rick = 18"x4'x8'
    Cut 20" long: Rick = 20"x4'x8'
    Cut 24" long: Rick = 24"x4'x8'
    You get the picture? Never a misunderstanding with a customer about what they are getting.
    An old gentleman who passed his firewood business on to me, told me to only sell by the "rick". In 40 years of selling firewood, he claimed to never have had a misunderstanding with a customer about the quantity of wood they paid for and then received when he sold wood based on a "rick" measurement.

9. woodshax

woodshax LawnSite Member

I stand corrected, although the dictionary definitions all say about the same thing; A uniformly stacked pile (of wood). New gentlemen in the industry have taken to calling your definition a "face cord" and I find both very misleading when sourcing wood from local sellers because I must make it clear (before delivery) that I want 128 Cu ft of split firewood (hardwood). When stacked in the simple structures that I made(that are sized so that an average length of 18" I get 64Cu ft of tightly stacked wood) I know how far off they are and if they want to continue to supply in bulk that they adhere to this very simple standard. So, once someone knows what they have...they can throw it in their trailer and make a mark where the pile ends and then continue with the next 64 cuft and mark that.....then if they throw in a few extra sticks in to account for irregularities of the pile they will be reasonably sure they are not screwing anyone over without doing the math

knox gsl likes this.
  10. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

In our area we have a lot of people ripping people off with "full cords" and are still green all my customers get 2 pallets = full cord I cut mine at 14in like people have said firewood customers are getting a lot smarter I had one customer ask if I could unstack some wood in the middle to check if it's green I said certainly (I had time anyways) so I unstack about half way and she looked and said thanks I stacked it back all tight and re wraped it a little and she gave me an extra $50. :):laugh: