Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It'd been raining enough so I thought why not?
Aerated close to 3 acres yesterday. Pulled good cores of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" long.

Showers are in the forecast all this week.
I sure hope they make it.

Is anyone else aerating?
Any good reasons why I shouldn't?
Other than the dreaded "dead lawn" syndrome?

Dave

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I didn't think I'd be hurting anything but I thought I'd check.

I did find one problem I'd overlooked. "Invisible Dog Fence"

I didn't see no stinkin' invisible fence!:rolleyes:
I told them "get it repaired and send me the bill"

Dave

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Those invisible fences SHOULD be a lot deeper than 2" or so! I'd check with some companies and see if they say how deep they install them.

Sounds like they skimped in areas and didn't go very deep.

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by TLS
Those invisible fences SHOULD be a lot deeper than 2" or so! I'd check with some companies and see if they say how deep they install them.

Sounds like they skimped in areas and didn't go very deep.
That's what I would think too. I'm going to check to see what's standard depth. Maybe they could have a wire plowed in deeper than aeration depth.

Strawbridge Lawn;
That's the time frame I usually aerate too. I was just trying to get a jump on the season. Maybe aerate twice. These lawns sure need it. I'm going to try topdressing and dragging some coarse sand this fall too.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I have areated some troubled areas in a 2 acre. 3 million dollar house 3 years ago in late July the weeks temps were 100 degrees. Lawn perked up beautifuly. Instructed them to water everyday.

11 years ago or so when my sister got married I had done 3/4 of our route in mid August with seeding, the daily temps were high 80's and low 90's. Not one problem............all automatic irrigation. Anyone that was dry did not get done.

2 years ago we started the same 2 weeks before labor day weekend during the second drought year to get lawns to recover early from the heat stress. No problem.......................again all are autotmatic irrigated.

This year we are actualy starting tomorrow. Getting one commercial prop out of the way. We are doing this early to aleviate the compaction from all the rain and opening them up to breath.

And there are so many LCO's around me that aerate during spring cleanup, and every year their lawns are crap at the last third of the season.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Originally posted by PR Fect
Has anyone had a problem with the cores raising hell with your mower?
No, we cut before aerating.............:p

Now the second full day of aerating and seed. Good length cores all over. One thing I have noticed is the the cores are tightly packed. And not the usual full root system. It's like my soils are all clay, and there not.

Break up the cores in my hand to check the root system. Usualy I would get something of a stringy mess. Not this year, it's as if the grass is growing only from the stem up.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Originally posted by GLAN
Not this year, it's as if the grass is growing only from the stem up.
I believe this is due to the EXTREMELY wet Winter, Spring, and Summer. The roots don't HAVE to go deep for water, there's plenty on top!

Make any sense?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is it ever recommended to aerate in dry weather? We haven't had rain in 6-7 weeks, lawns are burnt-up, but I saw someone aerating the other day and wondered if it would do any good?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Right on the money Dr Mow. Aerating now is perfet...for the weeds. Maybe up in Ohio with David the temps are cool enough, but here in Va it was 97 yesterday. Not good for grass, let alone grass seed.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I maybe just nervous but I would not aerate this early in the season. I would wait till later but if the ground you maintain is not doing well you really don’t have many choices. I would just be concerned with weeds getting a chance to take root and grow before winter.

Gravely_Man

·
Registered
334 Posts
Aerating???..
Yap, did 2 accounts today, appx 2 - 3 acres each. I feel this a good time to aerate, due to the fact it gives the roots time to recover before becoming dormant for the winter months..
My thought, get it started now, before it dies/dormant...when spring arrives, it has a 'head start'......my .02 cents

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.