1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Core Aerator or Slit Seeder

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bfstrider, Oct 18, 2006.

1. bfstrider

bfstrider LawnSite Member

I have been thinking of purchasing a walk behind core aerator to get into spaces I can't reach with my pull behind core aerator. However, since I have been reading different post and visiting different sites concerning the slit seeder I'm thinking seriously about purchasing one of these. Would a slit seeder work good on an established lawn? Would it get the seed into the soil through thicker grass? I know it would work good in thin or bare areas. Should I just stick with the core aerator? Most of the lawns I provide lawn care for are residential. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Id just aerate. I bought a tractor mounted slit seeder 20 years ago, its still in my storage building. I just used it a few times. If I'm renovating a lawn or just a grassless area, I roll my 3pt aerator forward & backward. It rips it up nicely. Small bad spots, we just scratch it up with a mantis tiller.

3. bfstrider

bfstrider LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I've always aerated and gotten good results. Didn't know if the seeder might be better. Thanks again