1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by phasthound, Mar 15, 2020.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I would ask you to stick with facts too. Your scared silly, thats fine you have a right to be. He's not, and he has that right too. OK back to the point of the thread......

2. OP
    OP
    phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I just spoke with a long time friend I've known since 1980 when we were climbers together at a tree company. He owns his own tree company in North Jersey. He tested positive and has been running a high fever for 2 days. My thoughts and prayers go out to him.

Everyone, be careful, keep your distance, stay healthy.

oqueoque, RussellB, Hineline and 3 others like this.
  3. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

Stay safe folks. Please let’s not name call. We all have a right to an opinion. ETM I am sure is really stressed out like us all. Let’s all take a deep breath and stick together. We are a band of brothers and must remain strong.

Wye Oak Tree, hort101 and phasthound like this.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think ETM sounded worried. Its not essential that we all worry ourselves to death. I'm not worried....I AM worried that this will kill our local economy or possibly impinge on being able to do business. We have a lib Gov here its scary.

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going out tomorrow to mow some lawns, about 90% of my customers are already requesting mowing and pest control. I have written permission from each customer and most have stated concern since they are physically unable to do such themselves.

We also have a letter we made in case we get stopped, it explains the need to be out, including for public health reasons. Using IPM terms and our pest certifications in vertabre etc...aka vector issues. Trying to use as much valid reasoning as possible. As some one who got Lyme disease at a young age, from tall grass, I have personal reasons as well.

We have suspended all other services and every customer said they understand. People seem more worried about us surviving financially. We've been in business through the downturn of 08 and many droughts. I have always been very careful about the finances due to those times. We can last until fall with no issues, if need be. I feel bad for all those guys that think they need all new stuff all the time. The dealers make fun of all our mowers having 3k-4k plus hours...until times like this. We run lean for a reason. Use to be one of those guys who wanted the nicest equipment until 08 about killed my business, lost over 50% of my accounts in a flash. That said I did buy my 1st brand new truck this year, as base of a 250 as you can buy.

But anyway, all of the customers said they will stay inside and we will disinfect every thing we touch while there. I was in the medical field at one time so luckily I know those protocols.

Stay healthy everyone and don't take this illness too lightly! Other than work I'm staying home.

6. OP
    OP
    phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

This is a great approach!! :clapping::clapping:

Hineline, Gatewayuser and hort101 like this.
  7. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Michigan’s we’re waiting for a clarification on what’s essential work in regard to our industry from our governor. The last info I received from the MGIA ( Michigan Green Industry Association) they were hiring an attorney to take legal action for just a simple clarification of who can work and who can’t. As of today our Governor won’t even consider an exemption. That’s the problem we just want clear rules. My operation is on hold. I will not work until we are cleared to do so or the lock down ends. We have been told we will be fined and a loss of license will be initiated. First and foremost my first obligation is protecting myself my family, my customers and anybody else we interact with from this virus. As much as I fear for my livelihood I really don’t see a choice here. We are taking a financial hit just like most other businesses. My belief is we can operate in safe manner within the guidelines of the CDC. But only if we are allowed to. In the last few days I’ve been in contact with many other business owners . The bottom line is we are at the mercy of our government. That being said I don’t feel any of this is being done with malice toward Lawn and Landscape operations. I know in my heart that fertilizing our customers lawns is not essential. It’s a sad fact. I wish it was different but it’s not. No threat to life if we don’t work folks. I don’t believe the decision to stop our work is based on any factual information. We do work outside, have very minimal contact with customers and could implement CDC guidance very easily. Can I say without any doubt no risk . No I can’t. Lower risk than a office building. Probably. Nobody knows for sure . Every decision is based on assumptions or interpretations.

Many business continue to operate and invoke their own interpretation of what’s essential work. I’ve seen companies write their own waivers. They determined they are essential. I received countless emails from many businesses , including green industry supply companies telling me their open . I won’t name them here but major national suppliers. Also, the big players are out working ( drove right by my office today) and some smaller companies too.

The optics are really not good if you choose to work. Ive heard of people turning people in and filing complaints if they see companies operating that probably shouldn’t be. Facebook, YouTube can ruin your reputation. It’s going to get uglier.

I’m riding out the storm as best we can . We’ve got to get through the next few weeks then reassess. I hope and pray for the best outcome for everyone. If you can work I’m happy for you. Be safe . If your unable to work. I feel your pain and hope for the best for you and your business. Stay safe as well.

I’ve been through droughts, relentless rains , crazy snow and cold. Horrible weather. I’ve seen economic downturn and epic good times. I’ve been in this industry for over forty years and got through. I truly believe we will get through this . Stay safe and keep the faith!

8. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Bronze Member

Ohio is still waiting for clarification also. In all reality, as the days go by, mowing will need to take place as the grass is breaking dormancy and beginning to grow. There will be a point of time that that those crews need to go. Fertilizing lawns? That's how I make my living and even I can see that as non-vital to public safety. In reality, ETM and many, many others could be in very rural areas where this pandemic seems worlds away and I get that. There are huge swaths of the country that are at much lower risk because of population. However, much of these areas also don't have the medical capacity to deal with the problem. Most of the steps taken are based on growth rate calculations vs medical capacity. We are trying to protect the front lines that are risking their lives everyday treating people and keeping them alive. Right now they are struggling to even have the PPE to do their jobs and are too falling victim. The best reinforcement we can do for the front lines is to avoid spreading the virus so they can keep up. We are doing this so they can save lives. This is war!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  9. ETM

ETM LawnSite Silver Member
    from GEORGIA

And my father has stage 4 COPD. Calling me an idiot for working is very childish of you. I don’t have a choice to stay at home. 4 weeks before the hysteria started over this we had rain 5 days a week. I can’t afford to sit at home. I have work to do. So my thoughts are we come in contact with no one. We can work and have to eat in our truck because the restaurants are drive tru only. The only time we may come in contact with anyone is when we shop at sams club shopping for ourselves and some friends of ours where they are in their 70’s. One had his heart stop and hit his head, meanwhile he hasn’t recovered from his brain bleeds so he can’t shop. His wife had cancer in her throat. The doctors removed cancer off her muscles in her throat so she can’t swallow. So she gags on mucus all day because she can clear it out. BTW she is on a feeding tube. That and taking care of my Dad I don’t have a choice but take care of the elderly that ask for me and my wife’s help. I have a responsibility to them and my family. So my selfish viewpoint is I don’t care what you think Me and my wife work our butt off so we can help others and ourselves. I’m sorry your wife has diabetes and I know all about that as my wife’s family all has it. Her blind cousin, her grandma that had her leg removed. Her father and mother both died before they we 52 because of complications from diabetes. Hopefully she will stay safe. I still don’t know anyone that has this strain of flu. But we are going to continue to work and take care of those that can’t.

Marine03112 and hort101 like this.
  10. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Bronze Member

ETM, that is a huge burden. Best of luck to you and our concern for your family. Stay safe!

hort101 likes this.