1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by phasthound, Mar 15, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

ETM, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. Go to work, and take all the precautions necessary to protect yourself, your loved ones and your employees. I wish you well.

Tara Ann, Hineline and hort101 like this.
  2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

The idea that the government can do this is beyond belief. These rules contradict the constitution on so many levels it terrifies me. These rules are statewide which also makes no sense. Some counties in these states have no cases whatsoever. Don't shake hands, wash your hands a lot, wear gloves and masks if you want and practice good hygiene. There is a better way to do this than having the government shut private business's down. I am self employed and have to work as I am not eligible for unemployment. As a society can we recover from these shutdowns, I am not so sure.

3. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Bronze Member

Many people in landscaping here in Ohio are cheating the system and making up their own rules. None of the professional organizations in Ohio are showing a lift yet. It would burn me up to think guys are out doing apps and getting a head start. Just a ***** I have!

That Guy Gary likes this.
  4. acecut

acecut LawnSite Member

We're essential here in CT, Good to go.full list for CT HERE https://www.ctpost.com/news/coronavirus/article/Full-list-of-essential-businesses-15149788.php
    10. Services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operations of all residences and other buildings (including services necessary to secure and maintain non-essential workplaces):
    • building cleaners or janitors • building code enforcement • disinfection • doormen • emergency management and response • fire prevention and response • general maintenance whether employed by the entity directly or a vendor • home-related services, including real estate transactions, closings, appraisals, and moving services • landscaping services

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    phasthound

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Is it really cheating if that's how the system is designed to operate?

Go spray some lawns if you are anxious. You might risk a ticket from an overzealous enforcer but you will not be doing anything that spreads the virus or makes the situation worse.

Don't get angry at others if you think they are breaking the rules as you perceive them if you can't identify any harm they are causing though.

Responsible behavior should be acknowledged, without it we are completely at the mercy of our gov't to make decisions and tell us what to do.

phasthound likes this.
  7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not telling you that you are wrong but is it really unconstitutional?

The right of state gov't to enforce quarantines and curfews has been tested and upheld many times. We are not under restriction at a Federal level where most of the constitution applies.

phasthound likes this.
  8. hedgehog_MI

hedgehog_MI LawnSite Member

wow. My jaw is on the floor. That happens to be the most thoughtfully reasoned novel I have read to date, especially concerning the COVID-19 pandemic and your working relationship with/to it. It mirrors what I think, but could never have as eloquently written. I am in awe of the way you are able to convey what is in your brain into the written word. Even if I did not agree with but 10% of what you wrote, I could never find fault in the manner you have expressed it. Well done "tlg", I say, well done.

9. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Bronze Member

I am partnered in a much larger company that won't allow work until they get a legal ok. The first question in the link is, "Is the work you are performing TODAY essential to the health, safety, and security of the
    general public?" The answer is no. If anything, until clarity is given to mowing operations it could make things worse in the near future. It's unlikely but there are things that can go wrong. What if there is an auto accident? If you don't have the legal authority to be out doing these operations, you could be sued heavily for one. I will contact the pesticides and licensing division tomorrow for their insight.

10. OP
    OP
    phasthound

I understand. Ohio needs to be more specific in their regulations as many other States have. At first, I was surprised that many States have declared landscape maintenance as necessary businesses. But once I read the explanation it became clear it was a reasonable decision to allow us to work as long as we adhered to the safety rules.

Hineline and hort101 like this.