1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Correct me if i am wrong ...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Poncho25, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. Poncho25

    Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 369

    I keep getting asked if I will help with furt, or spray beds for weeds and I keep saying no cause the last thing I want to have happen is to get a large fine...yes I know ALOT of people here in the area that have no license and are willing to take the risk....i am honestly thinking the same thing cause i am watching payup slip away....
    but here is the issue... I want to be legit but I heard that in the State of FL in order to get even a license to apply something as simple as round up, you need to have worked with a company like ChemLawn or True Green for over 2 years before you can even think about trying to take the tests..... does anyone if this is True??? if so...what is a work around or any other way to get one, as I do this full time and I will be damned if i drop clients to get in work for 2 years just to get a license....one guy told me to just be careful, that he's been doing this for over 15 years and doesn't have one and he applys it to his clients, he just does not advertise he does, he only does it for those who request....

    PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,534

    You are right that FLA has tight rules and a training under supervision (but I do not know the details). I believe that you need to stay straight, get to know someone that can work with you and sub it out.
  3. FLAhaulboy

    FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 852

    i used to spray roundup and pesticides in florida for aphids and spider mites but eventually quit doing it.i do recommend certain local pesticide businesses that i know of, that know what their doing. the rules in my state, Florida, are tight and they should be.
  4. lawnmaniac883

    lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,613

    I think that small apps of roundup should absolutely be allowed by the state now larger complete kill or vegetation control requires a professional but spraying a weed on the sidewalk should be fair game for all. Unfortunantly politicians combined with tree huggers tell us we cant do anything without all of this "training" and such.

    All I will do is spray small amounts of roundup at customers request for sidewalk cracks and such. I will not apply fert for a customer or apply pesticide.

    The training required is ridiculous IMO. What they should offer is a course that gives you all the training required and lets you take the test at the end or something similar ya know? Say they have a fee of 300 for the course and it is offered over the winter 3nights a week for 6 weeks or something like that. Then you would have people trained to apply the stuff like it is designed to be applied.

    Instead, they simply tell us no we cant apply unless we have 2 years with a cert. applicator. The end result is a sh!!!tload of idiots running around applying stuff when they have no clue what they are doing. As you can see the state REALLY cares about the environment.
  5. fiveoboy01

    fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,988

    I wouldn't do it if I were you. The risks in this case outweigh the rewards IMHO.

    I know the feeling you're having with $ slip away. I've had the same requests and have to turn them down due to being un-licensed.

    That should change soon, though. I just sent a check in to get the training manual, I'll have to study all 280 pages of it, and I can take the test whenever I feel ready.
  6. jwscroll

    jwscroll LawnSite Member
    Messages: 36

    The Dept. of Agriculture will issue you a Limited License to spray round up, you have to meet certain requirements but it is not difficult to attain. The last time I checked, if the homeowner buys the fertilizer you don't need a license to spread it.
  7. 29 Palms Property Management

    29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 347

    The Limited Commercial Maintenance certification is available only landscape maintenance contractors applying pesticides to their customers property. Applications are limited to beds and shrubs, not turf. Application equipment is limited to backpacks and handheld pump-up sprayers, not powered equipment. Products are limited to "Caution" labels only, not "Warning" or "Danger" labels. This certification is only available to those with documentation of 3 years experience in Landscape Maintenance and with proof of insurance. An application is also required. This license is sometimes incorrectly called the Roundup license. In fact this license can be used for much more than the herbicide Roundup. See complete details and the application at http://www.flaes.org/pdf/lndspckt.pdf

    The PCO license, is available only commercial contractors applying pesticides to their customers property. This certification is only available to those with documentation of 3 years experience working "under" someone with the same category of this certification. An application is required. There are 4 different categories within this certification - General Household Pest, known as GHP, Ornamental and Turf, known as O&T, termite and fumigation. See complete details at http://www.flaes.org/aes-ent/licenseandcert.html This license requires an application.
    The Florida PCO application packet is located at: http://www.flaes.org/pdf/exmpckt.pdf

    Also, an applicant will have to provide proof of insurance which indicates that their employer meets the minimum financial responsibility requirements for bodily injury and property damage. Presently, these amounts are set at: Bodily injury: $100,000 each person and $300,000 each occurrence; and property damage $50,000 each occurrence and $100,000 in the aggregate; or combined single limit coverage of $400,000 in the aggregate.
  8. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    its very easy to get the license to spray roundup, shrubs and flowerbeds. And there is no license needed to apply fertilizer (just fert only). You need to have worked under someone for 3 years to spray turf for weeds or bugs.

Share This Page