Correct MP Rotator nozzle height w/ reel mowing?

Bluelude1

LawnSite Member
I really like the combo of the PRS40 & the MP Rotator, but I am running into a little bit of an issue finding the correct installation height for reel mowed turf.

The MP Rotators inherently sit a little taller on top of the spray body than most nozzles and at really short cutting heights if the top of the spray body is flush with the dirt it is not hard to accidentally cut one on occasion.

I don't want to sink the spray body so low that dirt easily gets in the nozzle (have had that problem in sandy soils), but I also can't keep chopping nozzles off here and there.

Thoughts or suggestions?

OP
B

Bluelude1

LawnSite Member
What is the application where you need to cut so low? Bent grass?
I think it could be more of an issue of some of the heads being located on high spots in the yard (There are ~85 heads in the yard and the majority aren't the issue), but if the mower approaches from the wrong angle it can snag the nozzle.

The most obvious solution would be sink the body just low enough that the nozzle is flush with the dirt, but I thought I'd see if anyone had a better suggestion I hadn't thought of that would minimize the grit issue.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
A little below grade should be fine. Like you said kind of depends on the contours of the land whether they get damaged. A little bit of dirt is OK but sometimes a small rock will get in them and screw them up

Michael - Toronto

LawnSite Member
I've never had a problem with MP Rotators installed on PRS-40s that are buried "real low to the ground" - by that I mean that the top of the Rotator might be half an inch below the soil.

The little round rotating things on the top of the MP Rotators don't pop up until the spray has risen to full height, and they sit back down before the spray arm has retracted into the body of the PRS-40.

Maybe once or twice a year I find a tiny stone stuck in one of the Rotators - I have over 200 of them in one system. To me, that's not much of a problem, it's easy to get the stone out with a toothpick.

For what it's worth, I prefer the 6 inch high PRS-40s to the 4 inch high ones.

Michael