Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this question should be dedicated to the Exmark guy that I see responding so often. I have had a 36" Scag belt drive for the last three years. I have just purchased a 48" Lazer HP. Please give me instructions on the correct method of zero-turning with a rider. I know plenty of guys who have plenty of opinions, but everynow and then I still tear the turf.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Do not try making a 180 degree turn like you might with a hydro WB...make a "K" style type turn with a Z to eliminate making a divot.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by rodfather
Do not try making a 180 degree turn like you might with a hydro WB...make a "K" style type turn with a Z to eliminate making a divot.
And, you can try what my friend has been doing for a while, and I’ve been trying, too. It may not be quite as efficient for “cutting the actual grass”, but it does offer two pluses. What we are doing is the following. We make one pass, then continue moving and make a wide 180 turn. Now make another pass leaving (approximately) a “cut width” of grass. We continue this until we reach the end of the property.
Now we go back and repeat the procedure “wide turning” and cutting all the left behind strips of uncut grass.
The final look is like a double wide mower, but still with nice stripping. The advantages are you don’t lose time stopping in the turns, and you never divot the grass. It works terrific for lawns that have wimpy grass, and demand a non-divoting cut.
All and all, it seems to be a faster cut by not losing time turning the machine around.
Pete

·
Registered
791 Posts
Anouther one to Try is durring your 180 turn have both wheels moving in opposit directions opposed to pivoting on one stoped wheel.

Really all depends on the turf but all these methods work.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by pinnacle
Anouther one to Try is durring your 180 turn have both wheels moving in opposit directions opposed to pivoting on one stoped wheel.
Rodfather is suggesting k turning because most of the newer ZTR's with wide tires and smaller wheelbases (48 and 52) will divot less than very strong grass if you try to "zero turn" it, which is what you are describing. Also, as I mentioned, zero turning and k turning is a time consuming process, especially on smaller lawns.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Originally posted by Lawnalternatives
I know plenty of guys who have plenty of opinions, but everynow and then I still tear the turf.
Yes and you will always do some damage. Even the best will lose concentration and foul up. It' s when you think you are good and stop checking that the real damage will show up.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
now wait fellas ,,the k got its place in the learning curve. but a good ztr user can do a 180 without leaving divots etc. just keep both wheels turning. its a learned thing. i still use the k at times. does a good job,, of being sure u dont slip upand leave a mark.

·
Registered
446 Posts
When I had a mid mount I figured out how to keep the back wheels from ripping turf but the fronts were ribbed, and took a funky loop type movement to keep from tearing up the grass. I sent a note to Textron, but the ribbed tires are still speced on the ZT200 series. The Buntons run a slick. Same company, whats up with that?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Originally posted by pinnacle

This works great for me. I come to a complete stop, then I drive one wheel foward slowly, and the other in reverse. The 3 point "Y" turn seems to take too long. This way, when in really tight areas, you can still turn.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Switchless --- what is this "Now we go back and repeat the procedure “wide turning” and cutting all the left behind strips of uncut grass" all about?

Are you saying your double-cut each property? What kind of mower are you using?

·
Banned
656 Posts
Hello,

With the smaller hydro walks you can Usually spin 1 wheel forward & 1 back & not Cause Turf Damage. If you angle into your perimiter cut & then Spin the wheel backward You can Also avoid Slowing down When Zero Turning.

This is another reason small WB's are More Productive than ZTR's on certain Lots.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
Hello,

With the smaller hydro walks you can Usually spin 1 wheel forward & 1 back & not Cause Turf Damage. If you angle into your perimiter cut & then Spin the wheel backward You can Also avoid Slowing down When Zero Turning.

This is another reason small WB's are More Productive than ZTR's on certain Lots.
that's the way I turn with my Walker and with our walk behinds we pull on the inside handle, being that they are belts....;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.