Costs and fees for registering in NJ

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Clear-Cut, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. Clear-Cut

    Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 481

    im going legit next year

    i will be operating in nj.

    i hav found what i need to register but i cannot find how much any of this is going to cost.

    can anyone help with out with maybe a link or even off the top of their head how much it will cost to start a LLC business

    maybe if you could tell me exactly what i have to register for and get certified for

    just for the state

  2. DC Lawn Care

    DC Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 1

    LLC companies range from $250 to $550, it depends were you go or who you use. The first thing they'll do is see if your name is available to use. If JM Landscaping is you company name you'll most likely be ok because it's your initials. Once thats done they will take care of the LLC stuff which includes; your share holders book, (they may call it something else but it makes no difference you'll never need it) you get a raised seal, and all you LLC legal paperwork. They do not do anything for your state requirements. The state requires that you register under the home improvement category. This cost is $90. The local towns require you to have a permit to operate in there town, they are around $25 per town. Now if if you plan to apply chemicals its another story. I hope this helps you.
  3. Clear-Cut

    Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 481

    so for everything i am looking at (at most) $665? or do you mean most lawyers will charge $250-$550 to do the LLC paperwork for me? because i have heard that it isnt too difficult to do it yourself

    also. when i register with the state i will be good with the taxes right? i dont hav to file any additional paperwork for that do i? lol i dont want the IRS coming after me!

    two more questions. i probably have to register with the state b4 i do the LLC stuff right? or does it matter

    and do i have to renew this stuff every year?

    im going to take the training course to put down fertilizer and certified and registered hopefully by next year
  4. JJLandscapes

    JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 682

    For NY as an idea

    to make the corp or LLC was $350 for me
    licensing was $400-450 for 2 years

    insurance 900 a year
  5. Clear-Cut

    Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 481

    thanks for the info JJ

    i want to be able to legally put down fertilizer

    i was looking at this website:

    im guessing pesticide and fertilizing use the same certifications am i right or am i looking at the wrong thing...
  6. stripes

    stripes LawnSite Member
    Messages: 16

    i would pay a lawyer to file the LLC papers for you, it's worth the money. We spent about $400. when you file the papers and register with the state that will form the LLC, and you should get your tax ID # with that. After you do that you should talk to an accountant they will tell you everything you need to know about the taxes. As for the pesticide license it costs $75 for the applicator license, and $150 for the business license. hope this helps :clapping:
  7. ProImage

    ProImage LawnSite Member
    Messages: 31

    JMLandscaping, I filed myself through the New Jersey State website. You can search for free to see if anyone has your name (New Jersey Business Gateway). You will have to choose wether you are going to be an LLC, sole Prop., Corp. etc. It can all be done online. As for the IRS you can request a FEIN # for taxes or use you SS# depending on how you file your biz. Also the state will require you to register you biz as a contractor if you do anything more than cut grass. There are also legal wording that must be incorparated in your contracts. Go to the Attorny General's website, look under consumer affairs and it will tell you what to do.
  8. Allure

    Allure LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 426

    I agree with ProImage. You can do it all through the state web site or over the phone. $75 to register my LLC through the state & $90 to register as a contractor which you will not need if you are only doing lawns.
    (not a capital improvement)
    The $90 contractor fee is yearly.

    If you use this web site there is a step by step wizard on the right side. after you register your llc you should be instructed to register for taxes etc.
    you can also start here as ProImage said.

    after i did all that i found an accountant & reviewed everything with him.
    I did everything correctly except i did not know at the time that i had to register as a contractor. he clued me in on that.
    Why drag a lawyer into it.
    If you are uncomfortable with all of it you can request the package be mailed to you so you can look it over. Maybe even show it to an accountant if you have one.
  9. ProImage

    ProImage LawnSite Member
    Messages: 31

    To add one more thing. If you register as a contractor the state requires you to have min. of 500k general liability insurance.
  10. ACutAbovesiny

    ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 590

    i was able to to all that paperwork through my accountant.

    I was under the impression that you needed to have something published or something like that to be an LLC. I was told by my accountant that unless I was going to have others invest and be "silent partners" that an LLC (Limited Liability Company) is not needed. I have an S Corperation, which seperates myself from the corperation. That means if I run over some customers foot with my mower they cannot sue me personaly....just the business.

    I might be wrong though.

Share This Page