Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check out bigger trailer yesterday. the guy in the store use to be a landscaper and he told me that he witnessed a lawn guy in the area, pull up to another lawn guy's truck and equipment, (while the guy wasn't there), jump out and start beating up his equipment and take off.

What the heck has the lawn game come to. We have to worry about crooks steeling our equipment first, so we have to chain and lock it up like Fort knocks. Now we have to worry about each other in case our stuff gets smashed up? what a sad thing that Lawn Care professionals can't all get along. we are all out there in the same boat. Working our backsides off come rain or shine. We should be pulling together not fighting each other. To many other people waiting to rip us off to be worrying about our fellow Lawn care guy. I wave and talk to other lawn guys in the area around me. There is plenty of work out there for all of us. It's a shame that lawn care guys can't get together like an association in different counties and states and get to know each other better, Plus look out for each other. I know that if I were out there and see another lawn guy getting ripped off, I would be giving chase to help the guy. Even if I didn't know him. And I would like to think that somebody would have my back if it happened to me. I had a lawn guy pull up right across the road from me. He came over and wanted to know how I lock all my stuff up because he had his blowers stolen. Now whenever I see him we always either wave or chat about stuff in general. That to me is how it should be.

Sorry I went on a bit, But this really shocked me that one LCO would do that to another. VERY SAD that it comes to that.

Steve

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
same here, i try to talk with other guys but it seems like they think you're trying to steal their clients or eyeball their equipment. When guys stop at the deli where i eat they always sit on their trailers while they eat and stare you down as your roll by or walk past.

i do lock my equipment down on the trailer, but i don't feel the need to physically sit on the trailer while i'm eating 50' away.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
The underlying problem here is the unregulation of the Green Industry.

Anyone with a mower can say they have a busines.

There is not enough enforcement of having a License and Insurance. Stricter regulation is needed. Laws preventing bagging and leaving the bags behind are needed and or enforced.

That is the root of what causes the problems.

·
Registered
565 Posts
MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION You have got to be joking!

We DONOT NEED ANY MORE STUPID LAWS!!!!

We need those that are there inforced. If the guy saw someone "beat up" someones equipment the perpitruater needs to be caught tried and punished. The guy who saw the crime needs to report it or he is guilty too.

Jim

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
"The underlying problem here is the unregulation of the Green Industry"

Sorry that is not worded correctly.

It is not "unregulated" what I meant was "nonregulated"

·
Registered
305 Posts
The only regulation I would be happy with is if all LCO's were FORCED to carry insurance. That would eliminate a lot of problems with undesirable LCO's who underbid the rest of us and make a bad name for the green industry with low quality work. If a lot of these guys were forced to carry insurance, they'd quit the business. It wouldn't be so easy to just buy a mower and have a business.

Other than that, I don't want the government to stick their nose in any more of my business. Regulations would probably mean fees for us to pay and huge paperwork hassles.

I hope that whoever beat that person's equipment is caught and punished accordingly.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Originally posted by GLAN
The underlying problem here is the unregulation of the Green Industry.

Anyone with a mower can say they have a busines.

There is not enough enforcement of having a License and Insurance. Stricter regulation is needed. Laws preventing bagging and leaving the bags behind are needed and or enforced.

That is the root of what causes the problems.
Last I heard, stopping by and beating the hell out of someone else's equipment was AGAINST THE LAW. How much more strict do you need it than that?

As for the bags part.....you sure you aren't smoking your clippings instead of leaving them behind?

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Originally posted by maple city
The only regulation I would be happy with is if all LCO's were FORCED to carry insurance. That would eliminate a lot of problems with undesirable LCO's who underbid the rest of us and make a bad name for the green industry with low quality work. If a lot of these guys were forced to carry insurance, they'd quit the business. It wouldn't be so easy to just buy a mower and have a business.

Other than that, I don't want the government to stick their nose in any more of my business. Regulations would probably mean fees for us to pay and huge paperwork hassles.

I hope that whoever beat that person's equipment is caught and punished accordingly.
I pay about $600 a year for $2 million of business liability coverage with a top insurance company (Nationwide). That's what, 40 cents per lawn mowing? I also pay about $300 more per year for commercial coverage on my truck vs. a private-use policy.

Guys doing installs and hiring employees pay more, but they do more volume too, so the problem isn't insurance costs.

As far as I'm concerned, there are enough knuckleheads out there that I don't consider competition a problem around here. Stand out with a good presentation, reliable on-time service, keep your promises, do quality work, and you won't have problems getting your price unless your market is soft to begin with. That's another problem altogether, though.

There will always be someone "happy" to work for half what you want to make, at least for a while. That's just the facts. Sell overall value, not price. It's not always easy. Americans have become "something for nothing" price-shoppers. Try to concentrate on those who seem to appreciate the difference in a low price and a good value.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Friend of mine just lost all of his hand-held equipment. They cut the locks off of his trailer which was backed into his driveway. Tried to get his WB and ZTR however the gate was too close to the fence and they couldn't get them out.

I guess those guys if they do work can bid their jobs real low with no overhead. My friend and I talked about putting some type of marking on our equipment so it could be spoted if we drove by someone using it. Hopefully they'd be too lazy to cover the markings up.

·
Banned
4,203 Posts
Well here's my 2 cents,
It has nothing to do with anything other than a total lack of respect for anything in general any more. It is our society that has gone beserk and the minute any one says that that is the case they get bombarded with the aclu,naacp etc.Moral values my friends that is what it comes down to.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
Well here's my 2 cents,
It has nothing to do with anything other than a total lack of respect for anything in general any more. It is our society that has gone beserk and the minute any one says that that is the case they get bombarded with the aclu,naacp etc.Moral values my friends that is what it comes down to.
Good point. Society does seem to be tearing apart at the seams lately. I chock it up to a more mobile society where nobody knows anyone else and a general coarsening of the culture. Toss in baby boomer ex-hippies who turned values on their heads in the culture revolution of the past and that doesn't help either.

·
Banned
726 Posts
I just got nailed yesterday for some hand-tools (shovels, pole-pruner, blower gutter-cleaning extension, grease gun, etc.). They were in a trashcan on my trailer.

I pulled my 36” Stander out of the side-gate on my trailer and did the back lawn. Just as I was coming around the side of the house, I saw a flatbed truck of Hispanics (inside and out) giving me the evil-eye as they pulled away. I thought something was wrong, but then I remembered how some of you have called me prejudice, so I shook it off.

But when I started to load the 36” back up the side-gate, I noticed the stuff was missing. By then, they were long gone. Probably lost $300-$400. Everything else was in my locker or chained and locked down. Guess I'll have to rig a lock-down rack for the replacements as well.

I attribute this to the proliferation of Illegal Immigrants, LCO's that hire them, as well as myopic customers looking for the cheapest service they can find.

·
Banned
726 Posts
aaah, correction…

Was doing my weekly maintenance and went around on the other side of the truck to get my tools out of the side-box. Lock and latch busted. Wrenches, cordless drill and circular saw, socket sets, etc, GONE! Now the grand total is well over $1,000.

Please, hire some more Illegal Immigrants. You know how they help the economy. They’re only trying to feed their families. Everyone knows they only work on the jobs that American Boys won’t do anymore. Besides, everyone else is hiring them. It’s just something you’ll have to do if you want to keep making your Dixie Chopper payments.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I can easily explain how it's bill's fault. Everything is either bill or hillary's fault. This one just seemed more like bill. Now if it were a customer screaming at an LCO for no apparent reason then that would be hillary's fault. Did I clear that up for you?:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.