Couldn't believe this-brand new rust

twomancrew

LawnSite Senior Member
My new Deere WB didn't have a way to grease the pulley pivot for the drivetrain. Worse was I pulled it apart yesterday so I could push some grease in there and looky what I find! So I cleaned it up and stuck some zerks in it. I need some 1/4-28 jam nuts so the zerk doesn't tighten onto the spacer. For today I used some loctite and a few washers.

1008-144426.jpg

1008-144622.jpg

1008-150252.jpg

1008-150302.jpg

ricky86

LawnSite Silver Member
Sometimes, no grease is better than insufficient grease. Most "pros" never ever grease their equipment. Put in gas, check the oil (when it knocks) and go. If the grease dries, and it does rather quickly, it will cause binding.
You're fix looks good. You can get zerks with shallower threads. Red Loctite will hold just fine.

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Most "pros" never ever grease their equipment. Put in gas, check the oil (when it knocks) and go.

Couldn't agree more, Wish I had a quarter for every dipstick I pulled that showed BLACK or low or off stick...... payup

Nice fix twomancrew !

OP
T

twomancrew

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah, it's a John Deere, that's likely the problem.

Here on LS it's a Gravely knock-off. I never seen a Gravely close enough to a Deere to believe that. Even comparing side by side pics it's obvious they are two different brands, but what do I know for sure. Maybe I'm not looking at the right model from each company to see it.

alexschultz1

LawnSite Bronze Member
most pros don't grease their equipment?? I grease my equipment every 8-15 hours. all 120 grease zerks... I know.. ive counted lol

Top Forums