Couldn't stay away... Can't wait to MOW MOW MOW

First time posting, long time reader.

A few years ago, I started to mow a few lawns just to get out of the house and stay active. I got big... FAST. Within a few months, I landed a contract to take care of the largest mall property in Pittsburgh. With that, I got several other contracts to do grocery store properties, shopping plazas, car dealerships... and a bunch of residential jobs. Was named Pittsburgh's best new business by the Tribune Review's reader's choice poll. Also, "Best Landscaper" in the same publication.

Then, I felt overwhelmed. Employees, equipment, problem customers, storage space, ticks, and on and on. I cut it back a lot, keeping my favorite customers, and some of those I felt obligated to for various reasons. Eventually, I pared it down to being a one man crew... taking care of my coffee shops (Which I own) and my own rental properties, along with some in-law properties. Not getting paid, but still mowing for 2 day a week.

I can't take it. I want to mow so badly, I actually went out and bought myself a brand new Scag yesterday. (48" V-Ride II) I bought a rental property with 2 acres of lawn, and I am salivating just thinking about laying down stripes on that turf.

Not sure how big I want to get again, but going to build back up a little. Selectively. Lawns I will enjoy doing... none with dogs, or with messy kids and yard toys. The ones that let me just mow, trim, edge, and blow.

Used my new V-Ride II all day today... did lawns that were already done, just to get the feel of it. Wow... that thing is much touchier than my Snapper Pro walk behind or any other zero-turn I've run. And, not being used to it, my comfort level is touchy as well. I'm feeling as though I'm going to willy up and over while going up a hill... side to side on hills feels awkward, and... wow, that thing is FAST. Like, way fast! There's no play in the throttle bars... I could easily think I'm on the Snapper where my lever is slowing or stopping the pump instead of throttling and jump out into traffic on accident. Anybody find the learning curve on a stander to make you nervous like it did for me today? Can you reassure me I'm not going to flip this thing over?

IMG-5301.JPG

IMG-5315.JPG

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
Anybody find the learning curve on a stander to make you nervous like it did for me today? Can you reassure me I'm not going to flip this thing over?
I've never used a stander before but.. I do know that you can always lean to towards the incline your on to keep the weight on the other side keeping you from falling. I run a ztr and im trying to demo a stander this week when I'm out doing yards. Hopefully I can see how they work, always have been curious on how they are compared to a ZTR.

OP
Rostan Properties

Rostan Properties

LawnSite Member
I've never used a stander before but.. I do know that you can always lean to towards the incline your on to keep the weight on the other side keeping you from falling. I run a ztr and im trying to demo a stander this week when I'm out doing yards. Hopefully I can see how they work, always have been curious on how they are compared to a ZTR.
Thanks! I'm curious what you think after taking one or a few out.

OP
Rostan Properties

Rostan Properties

LawnSite Member
Yes that is normal. Everyone new I train on the stander swears it's going to flip on them. It won't . They even think it's going to flip over backwards getting it off of the trailer.
That’s the exact feeling I’m getting. Thank you... I see hills and think, that’s not too steep, then I get on the stander and it feels like Everest.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
If I am going horizontal on a slope let's say my right side is downhill. I will wrap my left leg/knee on the side cushion of the left side to kinda hug my lower body to the machine and put my weight more on the uphill side. If that makes any sense. But ive done it so much it's second nature now I don't even think about it. A stander IMO is sort of like riding a horse. Lean in to turns etc .

JMK26

LawnSite Fanatic
Anybody find the learning curve on a stander to make you nervous like it did for me today?
Same as a walk behind......once it gets off the ground enough where you have to use the battery to restart your heart.....that's the steepest you can go.