1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

COVID 19 Season will be Brutal. Prepare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Mar 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

@Tara Ann
    you can post North Carolina stay at home order now. Effective as of last night 5pm.

Meanwhile we are booked up for the season and are turning people away. Season starts April 6. We will be working.

Stock market up 11% tuesday, 2% yesterday. Up 4% at the moment, despite record 3.3 million new unemployment filings.

If it's a rally, I won't have to worry about eating dog food after I retire in a couple of years. I lost my shirt this month - all of my retirement funds are in the market - so this is a major relief for me.

Meanwhile, I printed out copies of our (public health) license and the applicable sections of the county stay at home orders to keep with the trucks. Our field techs work solo and wear full PPE including high end respirators, and have no contact with customers or anyone else for that matter during the workday. Customers have received a couple of emails explaining all this and seem comforted.

Looking forward to the new season.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

What's funny is that once these orders are relieved and this starts to die down some, everyone will be back to life as usual.....going out to eat, movies, work etc etc. There will be very little of the take it easy and slow mentality. Sure, a few will still be apprehensive, but most will just plunge back into things. I seriously doubt we will see another sharp rise int he epidemic due to it either.

3. jonthepain

Male, from Raleigh

I misspoke. NC shutdown starts 8pm tonight. Wake and Durham counties started last night 5pm.

In other news, my wife is a Licensed Professional Counselor. She counsels abused children for the Durham school system. A couple of days ago the powers that be ruled that counselors can now use videoconferencing as a tool. So Wendy has been on zoom all day.

At least one positive thing has come out of this mess.

4. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently they erecting makeshift morgues in nyc.for a burst of cases.

4 weeks until cutting needed here. Fingers crossed mania is over by then and not trending worse as it has been daily here.

5. jonthepain

Male, from Raleigh

btw we are getting 3 or 4 requests for lawn care every day. We haven't provided lawn care services for a few years now.

So I'd imagine other lco's are doing ok here

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I feel awkward praising ingenuity on such a matter but Spain's idea for using an ice rink is brilliant.

7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

That's great to hear, Jon.

Relaxing the hard line approach to privacy has certainly been helpful in medicine, as well. Similar to the concerns around counseling, the switch to telemedicine has forced the relaxations of HIPAA, with some guidelines being eased and a list of "What is kinda HIPAA compliant and okay to you, as well as what is 'please, do not, under any circumstances use Facebook Video because they ain't compliant at much of anything'.".

My wife just ran her first teleClinic and it's certainly not ideal, but far better than the alternatives.

Tara Ann, hort101 and That Guy Gary like this.
  8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

There are multiple arenas and athletic facilities that are currently being identified for use as mass hospitals. The Hurricane Katrina Superdome model, for better or worse, helped put systems in place to facilitate this in other cities.

Our own local setup, whenever publicly announced, is going to have a certain level of irony to it.

Tara Ann, hort101 and That Guy Gary like this.
  9. E-town

E-town LawnSite Member

Ontario Canada - Property maintenance business classified as essentials services ( Thumbs up )

Now waiting for Alberta Premier making the announcement before i go full force in Advertising. Weird time here, is about to get REAL :( ( We still have snow on the ground but with in the next few weeks should be all gone hopefully )

Alberta to draft list of essential services as COVID-19 cases rise https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2020/0...of-essential-services-as-covid-19-cases-rise/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 12:25 PM
  10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

One good thing about these stay at home orders- more folks are getting out and walking or riding a bike at the state parks etc here than I can ever remember seeing in my lifetime. Too bad many of them will never exercise after this.

sjessen, E-town, Tara Ann and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.