1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

cow manure for fertlizing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TTPRODR, Mar 27, 2009.

1. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

i read in a news clip someone saying dry cow manure in a spreader is the best for fertilizing in the green world.any suggestions or opinions?
    i have a cow farm not too far from my home that you get to pick as much as u want for free.

2. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know too much about it but I go get a couple of dump trailer loads for my veg garden. Last year I had tomatoes that reached 2lbs and a watermelon that weighed 53lbs, just about all my cantaloupes avg 8-9 lbs. It was a good crop. I was going to go today to get some but it is pouring.

3. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I grew up on a dairy farm so I know a little about chit:laugh:

I am not sure how you would spread it on a lawn without drying and shredding or composting it

4. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

Oh that's a bunch of crap! LOL

Does it not need to be composted? :confused:

5. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

No

But your homeowner would probably prefer it to be:laugh:

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Horse manure for some reason is supposed to have higher N content according to my composting book an around here you can get all the aged horse manure you want for free. I was thinking about getting a few truck loads. I am thinking aged means dry and well broken down.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

People around here just make tea out of it raw. Then do a drench for lawns or gardens.

8. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Should there be a concern for weed seeds germinating? Cows have four stomach chambers to "re-digest" and brake-down intake. With that much "composting", I would assume it is a better product. Horse do not share the same anatomy. This does not take in account the hormones and "fortified" feed that they are fed. And to think milorginite is a beneficial product. Well composted (dry) and aged manure, definitely.

9. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

The saga continues:
    Chapter 1 - Leaf compost - $19/cu yd - I think it was in a compost pile for 10 days and no screening - a mess to say the least

Chapter 2 - Good looking certified compost from a company called McGill - bought a cu. yd. through a reseller for $25 (McGill's min. is 50 cu. yds). Good product - high price - $100+ to deliver up to 40 cu. yds

Chapter 3 - Wallace Farm compost http://www.wallacefarmproducts.com/home
    $17/cu yd / web site says lots of diff. inputs, but the analysis sheet says manure compost. I'm trying to find out exactally what is in it (or does it really matter?) I have attached a copy of the analysis - how does it look? They are about an hour away- getting delivery costs from them.

Pistol

Attached Files:

10. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

The previous post was supposed to be a new thread - sorry all.