Crab and Nutsedge 2018

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hineline, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

Midwest, most nutsedge I've encountered. Crab and weeds going strong. Above average precip and almost constant humidity is making for a very active growing season. People who watered their lawns through the worst of the heatwave in recent weeks are loaded with disease. Heat doesn't = dry when dew points and humidity are high. I've watered my Bluegrass twice this year. Looks incredible.

2. jcollett83

jcollett83 LawnSite Member

Same here in the southeast

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Send some rain this way.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Agree nutsedge is prevalent this year, and crab around boundaries in lawns.

Also, people do not know how to use their irrigation systems. I saw more browned out lawns with irrigation systems today....hello its July folks increase your duration.

5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

It's dry here but nutsedge is everywhere. Crabgrass is worst where maintenance crews can't trim worth the wage they are being paid to scalp the grass and stress it out.

Still see some disease but it's mostly from knuckleheads watering all night or once or twice every day. :dizzy:

walkinonwater27 likes this.
  6. Hineline

The one good thing about all the junk we are having to spray is that our rates and equipment are making it easy to clean a property up quick. I think customers take notice that the problems are gone quickly after an application. Good job security.

Like mentioned, most turf issues on better lawns are irrigation related right now. I have an unpublished book written and waiting for pictures and editing. It contains 9 pages on watering turfgrass. I may need to copy that chapter and give it to all my irrigation customers so that they don't mess up their lawns with water. Water it when it needs watered but do it under the proper circumstances. Sometimes you have to check the weather forecast and make a plan. Not rocket science!

hort101 likes this.
  7. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Worst sedge year yet I think....

hort101 likes this.
  8. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

Only had smaller patches of nutsedge here so far in northern va, crabgrass is gettin out there. Pretty happy with how little crabgrass we have on our properties so far this year, last year by this time we were practically blanket spraying for the stuff. So far ive spotsprayed wayyyyyyy less this year

9. Hineline

Having the auxiliary tank setup for crab on my machine is helping greatly. My assistant has my old permagreen setup with a spot spray gun on the main tank, a Ryobi battery sprayer with crab he keeps in the hopper and we are both using Flo-aster handhelds for nutsedge. The Flowmasters are dirt cheap and work great. We've put fan tips on them. Way better than the overpriced Stihls

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RL-Flo-Master-4-pt-Hand-Sprayer-56HD/100164531

turf 1.jpg

hort101 and That Guy Gary like this.
  10. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a flo master at Walmart and a Chapin from Lowes to compare before I got a few more.

The Flo is a nice little hand can, the Chapin cracked open after a few uses!

Hineline and Walker56 like this.