1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

crab grass and new st augustine seed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slikrick, May 28, 2004.

1. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

going to lay seed for a client tomorrow in their back yard which consists of mostly sand and crab grass. They want it done so I'll do it but should I remove the crab grass first? if so, how should i remove it and or should i put a preventative down to kill any unseen or future crab grass?
    Thanks
    Richie

2. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

can anyone help??????????

3. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck LawnSite Member

I'm not an expert on this, so take my advice cautiously. My recollection is that almost everything that kills crabgrass also kills St. Aug. (and centipede). So, I would kill the crabgrass first and then put down the St. Aug.

4. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

thanks for the info...... ill try to research elsewhere as well, but if anyone else has anything to add please do !
    thanks

5. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

new st augustine seed ?

6. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you currently have the seed? As far as I know, St. Augustine is not available in seed.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I was thinking. . .doesn't St. Augustine grow from roots and rhizomes?

8. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

no, dont have the seed, client has it. he said st augustine? might not be? i really dont know? guess i should know what in the heck im dealing w/! still a newbie over here

9. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

maybe he mean shizzle.
    or it coulda been Cannabis sativa seed! :eek:

10. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

:p He no dought has centipede seed.