crabgrass preventer application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MOWNITDOWN, Mar 17, 2010.


    MOWNITDOWN LawnSite Member
    from IN
    Messages: 60

    hey guys,
    Got a question: Our temperature here was about 55 today. Tommorrow and Friday it is supposed to be about 65. I have read somewher else that when the soil temperature is about 55 degrees is a good time to put down your crabgrass preventer(?) Now after friday we are supposed to get a huge drop in temps and even go below freezing for a couple of nights. OK, here is the question: should I put down crabgrass preventer on friday ahead of this cold snap, or should I wait till after the cold spell and do it when it warms up again. I guess I just don't know if the crabgrass has germinated yet and if so, does it hurt to put the preventer down and then get real cold temps. I don't want the stuff to germinate, because I know then it is too late for the preventer to do any good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. indyturf

    indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,901

    If its just on your own lawn I would wait a couple weeks. lawn companies have to start now to get several hundred lawns done. as long as you get it done before April 15th your good.
  3. anotherturfgeek

    anotherturfgeek LawnSite Member
    Messages: 200

    Put it down as soon as the forsythia's start blooming. Works great in nc where I'm at.

    MOWNITDOWN LawnSite Member
    from IN
    Messages: 60

    thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention, it is for my own yard.
  5. Think Green

    Think Green LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,746

    We started over a week ago with preemerge to beat the temp fluctuations. It can be costly to wait on the weather to be opportune. Our forsythia's have bloomed twice since Christmas and then we go the freezing snow and ice afterward's. They are in full bloom now and is expected to get cold into the upper 30's by the weekend. Boy!!!! We can't play the game of when, when, and when. We do it the minute the temps break and we see tulips, forsythia, crocus emerge from the dormant turf. Not all types of soil will heat up at the same rates so be ahead of the crabgrass. Get the stuff down now and do not worry about not doing it after the outbreaks hit. Are you using granular Dimension, Pre-M or Barricade? They all will need to be watered into the upper two inches of the soil to be productive. The Dimension will have some postemerge activity.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,292

    Your in IN? No way your soil temps are anywhere near 55 yet.

    VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 547

    I am a couple of zones down from you in Oklahoma and my 2" soil temp. 5 day average is only 45 degrees. With hard freezes expected for at least another 3 weeks I would wait if it was your own lawn.

    MOWNITDOWN LawnSite Member
    from IN
    Messages: 60

    thanks guys for the advice. It is a granular preventet with nitrogen.
  9. LawnTamer

    LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,986

    I always go a little early. Partly because I have to service several hundred lawns, and also partly because soil temp vary widely in a landscape. Soil that has reflected sun/heat off a vinyl fence, or is next to blacktop will heat up way faster.

    MOWNITDOWN LawnSite Member
    from IN
    Messages: 60

    What soil temp do you wanna see before you apply?

Share This Page