Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Holistic Landscapes said:
Isn't Drive a pre emergent? If it is it wouldn't do a thing to his yard... try Acclaim Herbicide.... potent... but it works... about 1-1.5 per gallon or 1000 sq ft... enjoy
No....post emergent....

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Drive does have some pre-emergent qualities. Tho it is primarily used as a post -emergent herbicide for crabgrass.

I am unsure as to how effective it actually works as a pre. I just know it says it is on the label, you would have to get it sprayed much earlier than this though...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Jason Rose said:
Drive does have some pre-emergent qualities. Tho it is primarily used as a post -emergent herbicide for crabgrass.

I am unsure as to how effective it actually works as a pre. I just know it says it is on the label, you would have to get it sprayed much earlier than this though...
Yeah, but it would cost you 1,000.00 to treat a lawn ;)

·
Banned
5,112 Posts
Yea a shovel and lots of time and a strong back,dig out what you can and treat the rest and keep treating for a few years every time it starts up again.
But if it has a good head start on you or has been established for years...There is no getting rid of it completely

·
Registered
12,060 Posts

Crab grass is an annual that loves water and will out compete Perennial turfs. Once the Temperature goes below 50 to 55 degrees it dies. However Crab Grass puts out Millions and Millions of seeds that are viable for up to 15 years. Each year only a proportion of those seeds with germinate. They must first germinate and send out a singular root which is then chemically pruned by pre emerge and controls the Crab Grass. However if no pre-emerge is applied at the proper timing for your area, the Crab Grass re-establishes years after you have not seen crab grass.

Post Emerge Crab Grass Herbicide depend on the type of turf you have. The residual of Pre Emerge depends on your soil CEC or Chemical holding power. How one Deals with Crab Grass takes in a lot of factors.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Holistic Landscapes said:
Nobody has mentioned Acclaim? Is it a bad herbicide? Its used just for crab grass... any input?
In my experience Drive works better then Acclaim, and more forgiving then MSMA.

Drive will take out mature crabgrass also, and it does have some pre-em properties. Acclaim always seemed to struggle with mature crabgrass when I used it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
MrBarefoot said:
In my experience Drive works better then Acclaim, and more forgiving then MSMA.

Drive will take out mature crabgrass also, and it does have some pre-em properties. Acclaim always seemed to struggle with mature crabgrass when I used it.
Agree. Also, with Drive, you get some broadleaf control. The Acclaim label advises to delay application for 21 days after a 2,4-D or MCPP application or schedule 5 days before a 2,4-D or MCPP application. Drive is the better product, IMO.....

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I bought a gallon of Acclaim seveal years ago. I still use it because thats what I have. It works well but I can not compare it with Drive since I have not used Drive. I like mixing Acclaim with Dimension plus a surfactant. It works slow. Also tillered crabgrass is more difficult.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i just put down some drive last week... never used it before, and for the price i was not impressed... i just bought the small bottle, was about $26 i think, got some of it, but not all of it by any means... my lesco guy says no one around here uses msma because it doesn't work well... any one out there using it with good success in fescue.

·
Registered
515 Posts
timinkc said:
i just put down some drive last week... never used it before, and for the price i was not impressed... i just bought the small bottle, was about $26 i think, got some of it, but not all of it by any means... my lesco guy says no one around here uses msma because it doesn't work well... any one out there using it with good success in fescue.
Did you add methylated seed oil to your mix?

Drive's label states that you should add methylated seed oil to your mix, if you don't then you will get diminished results.

http://www.lesco.com/Label.aspx?label=063899.pdf

Look on page 3 near the bottom of the left column, it is even underlined.

·
Registered
757 Posts
yeah, Drive is usually the best option from what I hear. Acclaim works well on young crabgrass, and it needs a sticker, also great for bermuda . I haven't used drive because I still have some acclaim left over, and where can you get methylated seed oil? I've found MSMA works great on crabgass in late summer/ early fall, when temps are a bit cooler a few weeks before I plan to reseed. I know they will die out a month or so later, but I like to kill them all just before I seed. I did a renovation on a slope 2 years ago. I mixed some of the old Momentum + MSMA and sprayed the slope first week of September. It was 60% spurge, 30% crabgrass, and about 10% fescue. A week and a half later everything was dead except for the clumps of fescue. Aerated, slit seeded, overseeded, limed, fertilized 3 weeks later. By the end of Oct it looked beautiful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.