Cracked Toro seats

Discussion in 'Zone Talk' started by Outlawn, May 5, 2018.

1. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Did a repair on a large property yesterday and the original call was for the #6 zone not coming on. Power was good to the Toro valve, solenoid checked out, flow control was good, and it sounded like it wanted to go and a little water was flowing, but no heads would come up by the solenoid. Open up the bleeder in top and it kicked on fine. I excavated the box and pulled the top off of the valve. Diaphragm appeared to be good but I noticed a small crack in the inside smooth lip of the seat that sits down in the body. Topped the valve, replaced seat, and it worked fine. HO asked me to run through all the zones while I was there and found the #1 valve also not coming on. Same exact thing as the #6 and, when I pulled it, it also had a cracked seat. Topped it, replaced seat, and it worked fine.

Have y’all seen this before? Is it something with the hard well water? I found it odd that these valves were literally right next to each other and had the same problem, but maybe it was coincidence?

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

When you say seat and you replaced it are you meaning the bottom of the diaphragm that seals against the "seat" in the main body? Could you post a pic?

3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

My guess was water hammer with high pressure until you said well.

Interesting find

Outlawn likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Outlawn

It’s a white, concave-tapered plastic ring that goes into the body prior to the diaphragm. In Irritrol 2400 valves it’s a grayish-brown ring with a convex taper. I don’t know if “seat” is the proper terminology, but it makes sense to me, haha. I’ll get a pic tomorrow morning when I get home. I’ve got both cracked seats in the trash can in the trailer.

5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

In my 11 years and thouasands of valve replacements I've never seen that cracked. Though I do replace them everytime I do a gut swap.

Outlawn likes this.
  6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I've seen the "ring" broken in 2400's. I don't run across many Toro's except the old Pro Flow

Outlawn likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Outlawn

Here are the pics.

258D4A91-2E4F-42AA-8252-78946D26A351.jpeg

FCD149D0-1607-441B-AE66-70C6EF760F95.jpeg

361FD9D2-53EC-44FC-A90D-580EE958F968.jpeg

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Not a "seat" - that removable part is a diaphragm support ring - the function of these is to help maintain the integrity of the diaphragm, which is getting unbalanced pressure on its rubber surface, unless the valve is a reverse-flow design.

Old-style "flat-sheet" diaphragm valves, like the Irritrol 205, are largely history by now. New designs for a forward-flow diaphragm valve will always (can't think of an exception, or even a possible reason for an exception) have that support ring.

9. OP
    OP
    Outlawn

Thanks for the input @Wet_Boots !
    Could those cracks be the culprits for the valves not functioning by the solenoid?

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, it just means the valves are old. The area to look for damaging cracks on those old Toro valves is on the body, below the actual seat of the valve.

Outlawn likes this.