• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Craftsman gas tank leak

rb_in_va

LawnSite Member
Anyone know where to get a replacement tank for my Craftsman mower? I'm not a pro, just a homeowner looking to mow a small yard. Is it feasible to replace the tank on one of these units, or just get another (preferably better) mower? I tried searching before asking this question but couldn't find an answer. Thanks, Roger.

RKISTNER1

LawnSite Member
If you have your tractors model #, Go sears.com parts. Be at your door in 3 working days.

OP
R

rb_in_va

LawnSite Member
Actually it's just a push mower, but I would guess that I could still get the part delivered. Since the carb is all gunked up it might be worth me while to check the paper for a used Toro or Troy-Built.

OP
R

rb_in_va

LawnSite Member
RKISTNER1 said:
If you have your tractors model #, Go sears.com parts. Be at your door in 3 working days.
Bump! Time to get the mower going. I looked at sears.com and they don't show gas tanks for my push mower. Anyone have an idea where I can get a replacement tank new or used? Thanks, Roger.

OP
R

rb_in_va

LawnSite Member
Tomuchmowing4me said:
Post a pic of your tank. I just changed two new mowers with new tanks and junk carbs out to old style tanks and carbs. 2 new tanks left over for parts.
I'll take one tonight! What hp mower are the tanks from? I have the model number for mine. PM if you want. Thanks, Roger.

newz7151

LawnSite Silver Member
rb_in_va said:
I'll take one tonight! What hp mower are the tanks from? I have the model number for mine. PM if you want. Thanks, Roger.

They won't be able to PM you. If these are Briggs engines in the model area of something starting with 12 , and the tank is cracked and leaking from the area "inside behind the oil fill tube, or the inside area close to the gas cap fill, you may be able to take the mower to a Briggs&Stratton dealer and get the tank replaced for free. My common replacements (and there have been many) have been on units in the 00 to 01 date code range.

fishinpa

LawnSite Senior Member
newz7151 said:
They won't be able to PM you.
I don't think you can send or receive a PM's untill you have so many days or mid-20 something posts under your belt.

I'm not real clear on the specifics of that situation.

OP
R

rb_in_va

LawnSite Member
newz7151 said:
If these are Briggs engines in the model area of something starting with 12 , and the tank is cracked and leaking from the area "inside behind the oil fill tube, or the inside area close to the gas cap fill, you may be able to take the mower to a Briggs&Stratton dealer and get the tank replaced for free. My common replacements (and there have been many) have been on units in the 00 to 01 date code range.
I believe the B&S model no. is 12H802-2639-B1.

newz7151

LawnSite Silver Member
rb_in_va said:
I believe the B&S model no. is 12H802-2639-B1.

Well,then you might get tank part number 699374 replaced for free if you are lucky by taking it to a Briggs&Stratton dealer. I had 6 just last week.