Crankshaft length and spacers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Shannon Kincaid, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Shannon Kincaid

Shannon Kincaid LawnSite Member

I searched and didn't find an answer to this....

Local guy has a new Kohler 7000 Pro 26hp but the crankshaft is an inch longer than was on my Kohler Command 20hp.....

Can I buy a spacer....there would only be 1/2" of threads left if I cut the end of the crankshaft off..

I apologize if I didn't search correctly thank you for any replies and help

2. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Member

Possibly call a machine shop to see what it cost to modify the crankshaft? Then compare that price to what the correct replacement engine?

3. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

It depends on what this is going on. If you're going to rig this, can the engine be raised an inch on the platform?

AlohaMowing likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Shannon Kincaid

Shannon Kincaid LawnSite Member

I was looking at it....Hal that is a pretty darn good idea brother....I would have neve thought of that....

If its too long could I make a spacer that would take up the space between the PTO washer with the flat sides and the PTO.....The PTO would still be 100% engaged with the crankshaft....The top pulley will still be in the correct place since it will be just flush where the crankshaft is machined larger....As long as the belts are lined up and I get the right length crankshaft bolt shouldn't it be ok?

I know the correct answer is buy the right engine but this one is brand new 26hp for 200.00.....Its not a Command Pro like was on there but itll get me mowing....I am just thinking out loud I am all ears here...you guys have forgotten more than ill ever know about this...Thank you for the replies

5. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

You may have to put a spacer between the engine and the pulley, but it should work if you have enough room.