Crap I'm Dealing With This Year (So Far)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Thatlawndude, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Thatlawndude

Thatlawndude LawnSite Member

Just venting here. So here's the stuff that has irritated me so far this year.

#1 Get a call for an estimate. Go out to the call, it's about 2.5 acres, 7 trees, flat and easy. She wants bi-weekly. I quote her $150. She says that's awesome, she's glad she found somebody, she's glad I answer the phone, because her last guys number was disconnected, so I'm thinking SWEET! So I do the first mow, and when I'm done, she hands me $150, and says, "thank you! When I need you again, I'll call". So I ask her what happened to the bi-weekly thing. She says she wants to determine when her lawn needs mowed, so she can get the most out of her money. I tell her I'm not doing 8 inch grass in 2.5 acres. She says OK, she'll find someone else. Ticks me off

#2 Customer calls today, says, "hey, I know you were suppose to come this weekend, but when I got home today someone had mowed my yard. It's the neighbors, and their really nice, and I don't want to say anything, because I don't want to cause trouble". And I'm thinking, the reason why they mowed it, ******, is because you only let me mow it every 20 days!! So ticked.

#3 2 acre property. Its right next to my property, so I do it for $100. Lady EXPLICITLY tells me, "every week". Second week I show up and do it, (she's at work), I get a call when she gets home, and she says, "I thought you were only going to do it every two weeks?". Irritates me. Anyways, have a great day, and keep the grass flying!

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of confused customers this year. Irritates the heck out of me but I will be cleaning house soon.

RDALawns and hort101 like this.
  3. jheadlawncare

jheadlawncare LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

One told me today she no longer needs the yard done after 2 cuts today. I've had to hound her to get money and still haven't gotten it. Good riddance. Sounds like you're better off without

SodFather_tb likes this.
  4. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Get things in writing and most of this will go away.

NEPA LAWNS, knox gsl and hort101 like this.
  5. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

I got dysentery, twice. That's the crap in dealing with.

Wye Oak Tree likes this.
  6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Huh? What the heck are you drinking? Swamp water?

PDLlandscaping and hort101 like this.
  7. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

It might as well be. I'm not in the states and the sanitary conditions aren't always the best.

RussellB likes this.
  8. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

Anytime someone mentions dysentery I'm reminded of the old Oregon Trail game.

[​IMG]

TomH&H, oh ok, RussellB and 6 others like this.
  9. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Senior Member

Oregon trail one of the best computer games ever created

Service.com, gfwjr2 and RussellB like this.
  10. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Senior Member

It seems many people want to determine when things need mowed. With my part time setup I'm ok with it. I do always tell them specifically that if it is overgrown they get an overgrowth charge. It's typically 1.5x-2x's the normal price. Do this once or twice and they'll realize they want you to come on a regular basis. I have yet to tell somebody i won't mow their tall grass, I always warn them it will cost more and I won't be able to cut it as low. Hate to see you lose somebody, but maybe it's worth it. Dont' be surpised however if she calls back. I'd be prepared to give her the inflated rate, still make money, and really if you raise your deck you're not doing any more work and your machine isn't either.

stringfellohawk likes this.