crappy clients?

CJIII1983

LawnSite Senior Member
I know this is my first year in business, but it seems I have a lot of crappy clients that get their yard when they feel like they need it or complaints they don't the funds to get it cut and when you go back to cut it's out of hand and you have to double or triple cut it, I would like to drop all these customers and find new ones but is it too late in the season for this?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I know this is my first year in business, but it seems I have a lot of crappy clients that get their yard when they feel like they need it or complaints they don't the funds to get it cut and when you go back to cut it's out of hand and you have to double or triple cut it, I would like to drop all these customers and find new ones but is it too late in the season for this?
You’ve got these people cuz you’re new
You didn’t get them because of your quality rep
You got them because they were dropped by the last 20 people with quality reps
When you get better customers you’ll get rid of them too
Everyone starts out with crap customers
Just keep raising your prices
You’ll weed them out

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I used to do a pricing structure that was like $85 per cut
Then there was discounts for paying on time
Not canceling cuts
No obstacles to pick up
Etc
If you were a good customer it was a $50 cut
But pay late?
All cuts including those you already had
Get prorated to the original price
So if you had ten cuts and missed a payment you owed an extra $300 plus $85 here on out

I stopped doing it
Too much to keep track of
But people didn’t miss payments!

OP
C

CJIII1983

LawnSite Senior Member
I used to do a pricing structure that was like $85 per cut
Then there was discounts for paying on time
Not canceling cuts
No obstacles to pick up
Etc
If you were a good customer it was a $50 cut
But pay late?
All cuts including those you already had
Get prorated to the original price
So if you had ten cuts and missed a payment you owed an extra $300 plus $85 here on out

I stopped doing it
Too much to keep track of
But people didn’t miss payments!
Ok, so I should go another season with the crappy clients until I find a replacement or should I try to find new clients this season.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Ok, so I should go another season with the crappy clients until I find a replacement or should I try to find new clients this season.
Tell the crappy ones starting next year, you get weekly or biweekly. That's it. No on call service. If they want to skip 3 weeks, it costs 3 mows. Not the regular weekly price.

Don't get customers from FB yard sale pages. Most of the time they suck and are cheap.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you have a website yet? Getting Google reviews? You need to build that so your Google ranking and exposure goes up so people searching out for lawn company can find you easier.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody can answer that question for you.

Do what is in your best interests. Some random person on the internet who isn't paying your bills isn't going to be affected by what you do - you are.

The only correct answer is to do what's best for YOU.

That said, if things are really THAT bad, I wouldn't "wait it out", I'd start looking to replace them now. It's not like you're bound by a contract and MUST work for them the rest of the season.
I have no idea how bad it is for you, so I have no idea if that would work for you or not.

Top Forums