crappy clients?

CapeMay609

LawnSite Senior Member
We have all been there man. My clients used and abused me and my brother for about two years, not knowing until after the fact lol. Then once we started picking up full service customers we kicked the PITA customers to the curb. The good ones will come with time and quality work. Word of mouth is the number one way of getting good customers

04cubcadet3235

LawnSite Member
I never quite understand people like your boss that pat themselves on the back for not raising prices. He and the low ballers are the some of reason lawn prices remain artificially low. Good on you for seeing this.

he’s got his customers trained to ask for extras without paying, an easy situation to let develop. Retired or not, it’s a business. How many freebies does he get when his equipment needs repair?
He does all of his own work so he saves on that. He could easily charge 30 percent more and none of the customers would care, they'd just understand things are going up everywhere on everything. Some people are stuck in 1990. To me it feels like community service

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
It just goes to show how different we all are. What you described as work ethic and being careful and perfect and going over things 2 and 3 times, I describe as not being very good the first time around LOL. Hey if it needs a double cut, then it does and one should do it. If you miss something trimming, then one should go back and get it. But if it’s YOU going back and checking a co worker’s trimming, and you have to pull the trigger at four or five different spots on several properties and the dude you are checking up on is doing a poor job in my opinion Really, Everything you describe there, we do on the first try every time. I call that efficiency.

Last edited:

04cubcadet3235

LawnSite Member
It just goes to show how different we all are. What you described as work ethic and being careful and perfect and going over things 2 and 3 times, I describe as not being very good the first time around LOL. Hey if it needs a double cut, then it does and one should do it. If you miss something trimming, then one should go back and get it. But if it’s YOU going back and checking a co worker’s trimming, and you have to pull the trigger at four or five different spots on several properties and the dude you are checking up on is doing a poor job in my opinion Really, Everything you describe there, we do on the first try every time. I call that efficiency.
We usually get everything the first time around he just likes to double cut most of them to make the stripes look better. It takes twice the amount of fuel to double cut. It really takes up time on the big properties and you end up cutting less lawns for the day. I know someone that charges twice if they have to double cut. He is way to nice to a few of his customers.
He has a yard he is doing for 50 that he double cuts every week takes him 3 hours anyone else would charge 120 for that account. He still does it for 50 like he did 25 years ago. That same customer has a business that he double cuts and bags for $45 when he should be charging 90.

Last edited:

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Double cutting doesn’t really take double the fuel and time. Usually can run a touch faster and you’re not really cutting so the fuel usage is less (splitting hairs I suppose but…..).

I’m not against double cutting at all - like your guy, I do it when I feel it’s necessary. But I don’t automatically do it on all of them. I think That’s nuts but what do I know!!??. Where are you and what kind of mowers?

04cubcadet3235

LawnSite Member
Double cutting doesn’t really take double the fuel and time. Usually can run a touch faster and you’re not really cutting so the fuel usage is less (splitting hairs I suppose but…..).

I’m not against double cutting at all - like your guy, I do it when I feel it’s necessary. But I don’t automatically do it on all of them. I think That’s nuts but what do I know!!??. Where are you and what kind of mowers?
2011 Turf tiger kubota diesel and a 2019 Turf tiger with the kubota diesel and they definitely use less fuel compared to any gas mower in its class. 10 gallons lasts a week. double cuts don't cost as much with the diesels they're only 24 hp but have a ton of torque and can not be bogged down with the 61" deck. They really rip up the turf double cutting everything and leave wheel marks everywhere if its slightly wet

Top Forums